Vehicle Identification for Historical Society Research

ga5150

Hi all,

Our local historical society is trying to determine the approximate year of this photo.  We thought that by knowing the vehicles in the picture, that it may yield information onto approximate or exact years.  Other information on dating could be the fuel pumps, and signage.   Unfortunately, none of us are knowledgeable or have the expertise like the folks here to be able to know about the vehicles.

If it makes any difference, this was located in central Maryland (Ridgeville/now Mount Airy).

Thank you in advance for any help!

Rodney

Ridgeville Garage.png

Not sure on the cars but visible gas pumps were popular from around 1920-1928.  After that many pump makers were switching to clock face pumps with that style taking over by the early thirties.  The building facade and man's attire are 20's also I think.

• Like 1

Steel disc wheels had been around for many years. Especially in Europe where really good wheel spoke wood was in short supply. In the USA, wood spoke wheels remained popular for a long time, one, because they were strong and resilient as well as moderately cheap to manufacture and not requiring extremely expensive stamping equipment. And two because the USA had a million acres of second growth hickory, one of the best woods in the world for wheel spokes!

Several automakers in the USA were offering steel disc wheels during the 1910s. However, they didn't begin to really become popular until the early 1920s when quite a number of American cars began offering them. 

Both of the cars in the photo appear to be early 1920s. The one with the steel disc wheels is likely the newest, and it could be as late as about 1924. I am not one of the best at identifying marques, and the picture is hiding too many details for me to make a good guess on either of them.

The cars are dirty (a common problem on dirt roads back then!), and appear to be a couple years old at most. I would guess the photo dates from about 1923 through 1927.

Clothing styles can often be used to help date photographs. However, common types of work clothing didn't change much for years. And outside of "fashion centers", basically any small town, even Sunday best often didn't keep up with the trends in New York, London, or Paris. A banker might buy three or four new suits per year, however the local merchant might buy only one every year or two. 

Interesting photo! Good luck on your research.

• Like 3

Thank you all so far for the responses.  We have found through further research that a hotel sat on this exact lot and burned down in December 1910.  The earliest newspaper mention found so far for the Ridgeville Garage is May 1915.   I believe this all falls right in line with information of 1920s like mentioned here.

This is a stretch, but by observing the obscure License plate on 1 vehicle & assuming it's a Maryland plate between 1920 to 1929.

Each year was different, with variables (other than color) being "Maryland/date" along top or bottom, Dark or light numbers on light or dark background. Zooming in it looks like Light lettering on somewhat dark background with MD/date along bottom: If that combo could be confirmed we'd be at year 1925.    

http://www.worldlicenseplates.com/jpglps/US_MDXX_GI1.jpg  

• Like 2

Betholine looks to associated with Sinclair Oil. Did Sinclair take over Betholine or a was it a brand?  Later signs have "Betholine Sinclair"

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/LATE-1920S-BETHOLINE-MILES-OF-SMILES-GAS-PUMP-GLOBE-254541

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Oil_Corporation

This listed as 1926 and in Maryland

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1926-sherwood-bros-betholine-gasoline-april-ink

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1926-sherwood-bros-betholine-gasoline-april-ink

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Some parameters:

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/

The Democratic Advocate April 09, 1915,

Mr C.H. Watkins will in a few days have his commodious garage in Ridgeville completed.

The Democratic Advocate. May 07, 1915,

Mr Watkins is of the Ridgeville Garage.

The Democratic Advocate, May 30, 1919,

Tires stolen from Ridgeville Garage, Charles Jones, manager.

1920 US Census, Mount Airy, Maryland

Charles Jones age 22, proprietor, auto garage.

1930 US Census, Mount Airy, Maryland

Charles W Jones age 33, repair ,automobiles.

Other sources indicate C W Jones full name is Charles Winter Jones and he died in 1983.

The Democratic Advocate, August 23, 1918

Charles Winter Jones, Ridgeville, among the drafted soldiers leaving for Camp Meade.

The photo is sometime after 1915 (Watkins).  Jones is the garage “Manager” in 1919 and “proprietor” in 1920.

I wondered if the photo is of a young man proud of his new business and was taken in 1919-1920.

But now with the discussion on pumps, maybe it’s a photo celebrating the installation of new gas pumps in the 1920s.

Edited by Terry Stock
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Terry Stock said:

3 hours ago, Terry Stock said:

The Democratic Advocate, May 30, 1919,

Tires stolen from Ridgeville Garage, Charles Jones, manager.

1920 US Census, Mount Airy, Maryland

Charles Jones age 22, proprietor, auto garage.

The photo is sometime after 1915 (Watkins).  Jones is the garage “Manager” in 1919 and “proprietor” in 1920.

I wondered if the photo is of a young man proud of his new business and was taken in 1919-1920.

But now with the discussion on pumps, maybe it’s a photo celebrating the installation of new gas pumps in the 1920s.

Great stuff.  Thank you!  If he was "manager" in 1919, and "proprietor" in 1920, that would put us at least 1920 since his name is on front of the building under the Ford sign as proprietor.  Pump dating might offer additional drilling down of timeline, or a precise year on what little can be seen of the vehicles.  Thank you for your help!

Edited by ga5150 (see edit history)

On 2/11/2023 at 8:22 AM, ga5150 said:

Thank you all so far for the responses.  We have found through further research that a hotel sat on this exact lot and burned down in December 1910.  The earliest newspaper mention found so far for the Ridgeville Garage is May 1915.   I believe this all falls right in line with information of 1920s like mentioned here.

Following is a Betholine ad dated 10/05/1921 that states the gas had been on the market "over Three years" - that would date the picture no earlier than late-1917.  Per Terry Stock's info above, Jones was drafted in August, 1918 but was back as garage manager by May, 1919.  As WW1 ended in November, 1918, I'd guess he was mustered out shortly thereafter.  He had become proprietor by 1920.  Assuming it's Jones in the picture, I'd hazard another guess that, as Mr Stock suggested, the photo was taken around that time to commemorate his new ownership.  Whatever, based on the cars, clothes, pumps, etc, I agree it is no later than the 20s.

The Mount Joy Bulletin

Manager vs proprietor.  The focus of the 1919 story was stolen tires.  I wouldn't place too much weight on the exact status of Jones.  Might have been an employee manager, but just as equally a proprietor - manager.  The 1920 census was interested in employment status, hence the proprietor record.  I think information from pump historians is the key.