1966 Pontiac Catalina $5,500

They are cool. This one shows potential but needs full cosmetics & interior work. Great drivers too but the scary part is what might be underneath the rear window in that lower vinyl top area. Most had water leaks there that ran over the wheel tubs and rotted the trunk floors. Salt belt car so a careful pre-purchase  inspection is required including the rear quarters, especially behind the rear wheels. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Reynard said:

Steve...how about taking the time to post a picture or two?...save everybody a lot of time. thanks

I usually do but was a bit pressed today as I was sneaking a little forum time in between working.  Not a bad looking car huh,?

• Like 1

These are good looking cars from the period when Pontiac still had their mojo. Look at that underhood shot! All that room!  No power brakes or air but looks like power steering. It's not a 2+2 which was a higher line model with buckets, console and the 429 engine. Still this could be a real nice car. Rust around the windows? A common problem with this era GM cars. I had a couple of '66-'67 Rivieras that suffered from that. The only cure is to strip everything down, cut out the rust and weld in new metal. If you're not prepared to do this you're never going to have a nice car. I never committed to the expense of repair, and Mickey Moused it with sealing gunk and even duct tape. Hey, at least it was silver, just like the stainless window mouldings!  Not my proudest achievement, but i kept it in good mechanical shape. 

These cars were mechanically bulletproof.  The 389/THM-400 combination, even with the 2 BBL carburetor provides plenty of power.  Our family had one in the darker blue color when I was a kid.  My father added the skirts, which I didn't care for at the time, but now think really completes that lower body line that runs through the rear wheel opening.

On 2/10/2023 at 7:07 AM, edinmass said:

Cool car, but I can’t help remembering when they were 200 dollars all day long. I’m getting old!

Exactly!   I looked at one for a daily in the 80's for $400.   

I drove a 1963 Grand Prix to trade school in 1997-1998.  I went to Texas to get it.   True, the 389 was a solid reliable power plant. 

Here is my issue, kind of personal.  The 63-64's were smooth and conservative, with honest Pontiac styling and cues. The 65-67's got those lower body and more exaggerations of curving which kind of looked cartoonish, compared to the 64's especially.  

1964 Pontiac Catalina For Sale - Carsforsale.com®

1964 Full Size Pontiac above.  

1966 Pontiac Catalina 2+2 Convertible | F228 | Indy 2019

• Like 1