I am interested to buy a bigger car around 1929-1931-good choices ?

arcticbuicks

I would like to buy a bigger car in the 1929 -1931 range prefer straight 8 ,1932-1934 is maybe nicer but prices seem much higher too,been thinking of several Brands ,and i prefer just nice survivor condition ,needing mechanical work is fine and if serious would want to know i can get a donor and/or parts relatively easy ,or maybe needing  interior redone,just not a total project car.I like Hudson Packard Chrysler Buick Nash etc......wood is a big concern for sure,too oddball or too rare  i dont need..........just a nice big straight 8 sunday cruiser........can i hear your ideas......... on which you found good for size/looks and better and which you stay away from ?.......what a nice straight 8 with the easiest available parts without too much wood that still a good looking car ?

I shouldn't buy anymore ....but i cant seem to kick the habit ,my doctor has been following my addiction .......and interested at looking at my side effects i have picked up........and says there is still no 'stop buying old cars' pills like for smoking

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)

Buenas noches: Tengo un Buick X8-95 de 1.931, phaetom, siete asientos, descapotable y volante a la derecha. Lo compré en Buenos Aires y allí lo restauraron totalmente en el año 2.016,(madera, frenos, chapa, motor, o sea todo) lo importé a mi tierra que es España. El coche está nuevo y lo he utilizado muy poco. En la actualidad debido a mis 75 años y al peso del vehículo, el uso que le doy es mínimo y quisiera venderlo siempre que el comprador sea una persona seria y sepa valorar lo que ve.

Si le interesa le puedo mandar fotos.

Saludos

F.Pérez 

Good evening, I have a 1931 Buick X8-95 phaetom seven seat convertible right hand drive. I bought it in Buenos Aires and there it was completely restored in 2016, (wood, brakes, sheet metal, engine, that is, everything) I imported it to my land, which is Spain. The car is new and I have used it very little. At present, due to my 75 years and the weight of the vehicle, the use that I give it is minimal and I would like to sell it as long as the buyer is a serious person and knows how to value what he sees.

If you are interested I can send you photos.
  • Like 1

A more complete translation:

Good evening:  I have a 1931 Buick X8-95 phaeton,seven seats, convertible and right-hand drive.  I bought it in Buenos Aires and had it totally restored there in 2016 (wood, brakes, bodywork, motor and everything).  I imported it to my country which is Spain.  The car (not sure of this; maybe it just means the body) is new and I have used it very little.  These days, due to my age 75 and the weight of the car, the use I give it is minimal and I would like to sell it as long as the buyer is a serious person who can appreciate what he's looking at.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, K8096 said:

Ed, a 1929-33 Stutz is 322 CID and the short wheelbase is 134 1/2 inches.   Is a Stutz a compramize? 

Not in the power department, but it is tiny. My general rule of thumb. Overhead valves help out for the smaller displacement. Then again, every Stutz I have ever laid my hands on has been worked over………😎

@Matt Harwooddepends more on the car ........thats a tough one.......in this area the bigger more grand cars are not as common but the odd ones do exist,i know a guy not far from here with a 27 auburn roadster i thought about trying to buy,he also has a 32 Imperial but too much of a project just beyond what i want,i think the car pic was on here [Auburn]......and there is a packard with a 12.....i am buying but only to sell....... as i want a enclosed car ........we have short summer and cold evenings.....but can still enjoy other months of colder weather in a coupe or sedan .....i have a 28 hudson 8 but horrible aluminum body construction although a good looking car that is also bit of a project......so i am just seeing what to look at so far....but will buy ......buying in the USA is no problem also

a survivor coupe or sedan..........complete is important.... just needing total mechanical servicing and a few other things along the way is best i think,even if it needs a complete engine rebuild is ok too,just not a 10 year major restoration like a 1931 buick i have needing too many rare parts

It depends what you can find that suits you. There are not that many good survivors, however they do turn up. Your best choice might be a Buick, they are popular and you are familiar with them. But I would not turn down a good Packard or Chrysler. Even a Pierce Arrow. You might want to look in Hemmings etc for a car you like then ask about the parts supply club support etc.

A 31 Buick like the one you have only in better shape would be ideal, after all you already have a parts car.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

yes ,my buick is sold but yes a better one,i kick myself.......or the owner for not being able to get a 90 open car out of a steel building before it collapsed under snow load 2 years ago,although being open it was amazing condition,and missed a auction a hour from me full of packards 40 in total all prewar but again only a few of them were ideal.......I have to stay firm on no more serious project cars lol

I would consider the Chrysler CD series as a potential choice.  Something akin to this one here:

If you go a bit later in the decade, the Airflows would be my next consideration! Something like a '35 C1 but...the appearance isn't for everyone I realize.  

• Like 1

While it’s a distance from Ed’s criteria, but it’s in some Buick and nash ranges,  is a 32 L Oldsmobile. With a 116.5 WB’s and a 240 displacement, it gives surprisingly nice performance. Most have never driven one so most don’t know. I have ridden in the others brands along with olds and the olds easily holds its own. The L series are rare, but are out there, and most are in very nice structural shape (wood), plus they’re affordable compared to others. You definitely won’t be driving what others are either if you like being different. Cabin adjustable shocks, automatic choke, engine oil cooler/heater are some of the benefits of the 32 olds models. Just another option. By the way, packard got the automatic choke 2 years AFTER (I believe)the olds which was the first production car to offer it.

• Like 1