1949 Dodge Wayfarer $8500 obo 49,009 miles

Marketplace - 1949 Dodge D-29 Wayfarer | Facebook

Seller's Description

1949 Dodge D-29 Sedan · Other_body_style · Driven 49,009 miles 1949 Dodge Wayfarer 2 door sedan 3 on the tree shift In excellent condition! Your new hobby is waiting! Join your local antique car club and work the car show circuits in this classic American beauty 🥰 Only 49k ORIGINAL MILES!😱 Lots of extras: *several extra sets of hubcaps (all options in 1949) *has original glass oil filter (has not ever been converted to modern filters) *Box of extra engine parts (to include extra reusable glass oil filters) *lots of old advertisements and magazine articles from 1949 (to include original factory paint sample display cards) *excellent provenance *was also one of the few to ever be registered in Alaska 😱 Vehicle Length: 197.4 in Wheelbase - Inches: 115 in $8,500 OBO

Product photo of 1949 Dodge D-29 Wayfarer

I am not too up on the values of two door fastback models but I do think it is modestly overpriced depending on if there are any rust issues.  Some interior wear visible and leaving all your tool boxes in the car for sales pictures is not confidence inspiring. If you wanted one it would be worth looking at.

• Like 2

The rarity of this body style will bring out those old Mopar diehards.

I agree that it is not very well represented, but its way cool in my circle of friends.

And yes, a little ingenuity could have been used in getting the turn signals incorporated into the existing parking and taillights.

Love the radio delete.

To bad there are no engine bay pics. Also, would like to see what glass oil filters look like. Maybe he meant fuel filters.

It was not uncommon for these to have a fluid coupler, but it doesn't look like this one has it. At least I don't see any badging.

I like it.

• Like 2

Chrysler stores had a long relationship with Carter fuel filters with the ceramic filter elements that were incredibly efficient.  Occassional models, such as the mid 50s dual quad 300 Letter Cars, received a pair of the shorter glass bowl type in production.   Dealer service depts. added many of these over the years.

While I'd suggest she is seeing one of these, in the long bowl type, suspended at the carburetor fuel intake fitting, count me in on some sort of anxiety if there are more than one (she says "filters") made of glass(!) handling oil under that hood.   But then, there were some really strange aftermarket things offered by JC Whitney, Western Auto and Pep Boys at times.  So, never say never!

s-l640.jpg

• Like 3

Not a big mopar flathead 6 fan but this looks like a great car for someone. I like it's gennie untouched all original appearance. These Wayfarers were low-priced basic transportation cars back in the day that cost $1738 new. If this was a straight stick car and not a Gyromatic that would be even better. The removal of those extra turn signal lights would be a relatively minor problem that could be easily fixed. The small holes in the seat upholstery wouldn't bother me at all. It if  runs well and looks as clean under the hood and inside the trunk as it does on the outside, it could well be worth the asking price but it says $8500 OBO. Would an offer of $6000-$7000 buy it? The seller appears to be a non-automotive person. A flipper or dealer would have it priced at twice as much. 

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

My bad, the car is listed by a she.

Yes, I was going to mention that.  I personally am thrilled with the ad content. LOTS of photos, quite a bit of word content.  I look at facebook marketplace ads a lot now that Craigslist is less of a marketplace.  I get so frustrated for the same reasons I did the old CL free ads - 1-2 photos and virtually no written content when you could have 16 photos and a short book of information. 

So I think this lady did OK.  

12 minutes ago, The 55er said:

The removal of those extra turn signal lights would be a relatively minor problem that could be easily fixed. The small holes in the seat upholstery wouldn't bother me at all.  Would an offer of $6000-$7000 buy it? The seller appears to be a non-automotive person. A flipper or dealer would have it priced at twice as much. 

Pretty much why I posted it.  Looks like original paint and interior on a 49,000 mile car!  If a person can get this for $6500, which I believe is quite possible - then it could become a great entry level car or a 2nd car to enjoy to take the miles off a $35,000 car. 

I love it.  And yes - always go look at the seller, it usually says a lot.  Not always, but this is a feminist woman judging from her facebook content, so don't go in there with a MAGA hat on.  Just be nice and say how about $6,000?  She might counter, I suspect this is a relative's car she is assisting in selling, so the money might be going to assisted living or a nursing home relative.  

On the other hand I have seen cars where I check out the person and their content and instantly "unsave" the car from my account.  

• Like 1

I like the car. Very similar visually to my '50 Plymouth P-19, which I no longer have. Looks solid, but check these cars for rust around doors and floors. If there are no problems and the mechanicals are OK, it would be worth owning (if properly titled.) They actually handle very nicely when compared to other everyday drivers of this era - Ford, etc.