Build Sheet

Deadpurpledog

There is no source for a build sheet unless you can find one hidden in the car somewhere from when the car was built.

The 67 GS has the same 430 engine that was used in all 67 Rivieras along with the Star Wars Red air cleaner. Check to

make sure that the GS emblems on the front fenders are correct.....the 67 GS emblems have letters that lean to the right, not

straight up and down like the 66 models. Also on the driver's side of the car, the GS emblem is on the rearward side of the Riviera emblem

and  on the side towards the front of the car on the passenger side. When reading the fender emblems on either side they should

rear Riviera GS   , not GS Riviera. Check your rear end........the GS model in 67 has a 3:42 positraction rear end. Also, in 67 the GS had

the heavy duty suspension option.....but I'm not sure how to identify it.....perhaps Jason Zerbini will chime in..... 

These cars rarely ever had the build sheets left in the car on the assembly line. There is no historical establishment that has build information by VIN like other makes and models of time period. I've probably seen photos of maybe 2 or 3 67 build sheets in 40 years of dealing with these cars. 

But there are ways to validate within a reasonable accuracy. Do you have pics of the car? Maybe I already know the car. Can you get a photo of the Fisher Body data plate? Does the owner of car have the original Protecto plate? 

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Thanks for your help!  This GS has been very visible this year.  It’s blue/blue. . .no vinyl.  Sold at Carlyle in the spring for $27,500 to PJ’s.  Pj’s sold it to New Jersey collector.  He had it listed at about $55 for several months, lowering it to $49.  Both Carlyle & my appraiser indicated vehicle is #2.  A YouTube video by PJ’s does exist.  

can’t express how much I appreciate your help with this.  I’m looking for a fun drive. . .think these have beautiful lines. . .but am neither a flipper or dealer.

• Like 2

I have my doubts at this point as a legit GS but that's my nature because I've seen so many fakes and buyer remorse after the fact. Buying this car as a GS without more investigation is a mistake.

2 things - Must check stamp on bottom of left rear axle tube about 3-4" inches over from differential housing. Must be PY and a circle with an X inside. Also ask them for a pic of Fisher tag.

A/C compressor looks original but is incorrect for a 3.42 rear axle ratio equipped GS which 3.42 was standard. Non-GS had a 3.07 ratio standard and that's what this compressor matches.

Either the hold down nut for Starwars is not tightened down fully, or the stud is too long and won't let it tighten down. If too long to tighten down, I've seen this on other cars where a Starwars air cleaner was added by a previous owner but installer was too incompetent to adjust the stud length. Importantly, there is no insulation retainer on the underside center section of hood. This steel band about an inch wide came only on Starwars equipped cars (GS) from factory. It kept insulation from rubbing paint off air cleaner at front. See they have a rag glued there now. Disgraceful for a $49k car.

Unrelated to GS question, but the parking brake foot lever has been bent to the right to clear the large kick panel speakers. Also holes drilled in rear package deck L&R side for speakers. All in all though it looks like a fairly rust free well cared for car.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, EmTee said:

What is the two-letter code on the transmission tag?

Tim,

66 yes but in 67 the trans is no different on a GS vs base model so code is same

4 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Does Buick/GM still offer a service where you send them the vin and they will give you the info they have?

No not for 67. The Sloan Museum Automotive Research can research Buick VINs 1970, and 1972 to 1976 

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2023 at 6:54 AM, JZRIV said:

A/C compressor looks original but is incorrect for a 3.42 rear axle ratio equipped GS which 3.42 was standard. Non-GS had a 3.07 ratio standard and that's what this compressor matches.

Good info to know. Can you tell me how to tell if the A/C compressor is correct for a GS?