Early 1960s hardtop convertible?

skinnerbird

I have a photo that I'm trying to date. I'm guessing it's about 1960, but not sure. The car is a new model, so dating the model will give me the approximate photo date. The scooped front fender seems distinctive, but I haven't be able to match it. Thanks for your help!

Geoffrey

Librarian, Sonoma County Library

cstr_pho_044169.png

What up with the scale?   

One side has the 58 Lincoln full line catalogue the other side has a folder(?) or accordion file(?) yet the Lincoln catalogue appears heavier. 

Maybe they are trying to say that the new Lincoln "carries more weight"? 

28 minutes ago, pontiac1953 said:

yes, and longer wheelbase limo.

The Formal sedan and limo were only in 1959 & 60 and used the same wheelbase as the regular cars (sedans)  No jump seats standard leg room. 

The two guys are G. K. Hardt (left), president of G.K. Hardt Auto Sales in Santa Rosa, California, and his vice president and manager of used car sales, Jim Gondola (right). According to an ad in the Santa Rosa Press Democrat in 1958, they were an authorized dealer for "Continental - Lincoln - Mercury - Edsel - Jeep 4-wheel drive -- and NOW the economical American Motors Rambler." They also had a good used car operation.

The scales sculpture was in their sales lot, but I don't know much more about it. In my higher resolution copy of the photo, you can just make out that there's a stack of prints in the right-hand pan showing an image of a couple next to a car with its headlights on. Dunno the significance of that, either

This is what is in the right scale pan. 

Looks like there might be a few corners fanned out.   More than one copy. 

315580279_58lincoln.jpg.d5af63c9872c4887c57a205d61c8f36f.jpg

Just as an FYI the 1958 model year was hit with a huge (Eisenhower) recession. The middle and higher priced cars (Lincoln, Mercury, Edsel) were just sitting on the lots, nobody wanted them.  The Jeep would have had its buyers who needed such a vehicle (people didnt buy them for recreation or status back then) 

Only Rambler- AMC had increased sales for 1958 (an economy car) so this dealer is probably in trouble financially and the new Rambler franchise was a badly needed life line. 

To learn more about the troubled 1958 model year, search out "You auto buy now"  a government program to promote auto sales. 

1 hour ago, m-mman said:

What up with the scale?   

One side has the 58 Lincoln full line catalogue the other side has a folder(?) or accordion file(?) yet the Lincoln catalogue appears heavier. 

Maybe they are trying to say that the new Lincoln "carries more weight"? . 

At about 2 1/2 tons, one 1958 Lincoln weighted what two 1958 Rambler Amercians did together...

14 hours ago, m-mman said:

Only Rambler- AMC had increased sales for 1958 (an economy car) so this dealer is probably in trouble financially and the new Rambler franchise was a badly needed life line. 

The Thunderbird also saw a huge increase in sales for 1958, being a four-seater for the first time.   A good thing, since they both shared production lines at Wixom, as 1958 Lincoln Division sales which everyone knows, was very poor, and losing money for Ford in those years.

Craig