We'll look at that.....my new neighbors...

avgwarhawk

18 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Those chromed Chevy rallys and big dual tailpipes make me wonder if it's a true Buick, but looks great outside.👍

I knew the neighbor had one. We were talking via email before he purchased the home(HOA stuff)   It belongs to his 85 yo father in law.  When I get a chance to talk with him I will see what is under the hood and report back. 

• Like 3

The Buick is highly modified.  Chevy 350. Open drive line.  AC blowing cool. Bucket seats.  Owners son in law said his father in law is turning in his license.  85 years of age.  The Buick will be sold.  He said he has invested 100k in work.  But we know that usually has diminished returns at time of selling.  

46 minutes ago, old-tank said:

It would be nice to see how it rides and handles.

I will take pictures and video.  Dennis, his son in law, is easy to work with.  He is just moving in and will be tied up getting settled.  It maybe a minute before I can go over the Buick and post.  I did offer and would be my pleasure to roll with his father in law when I take my Buicks out for a stretch.  Dennis was thrilled with that offer. 

• Like 2

Hate that it's not at least Buick powered.

A 54 Special Estate Wagon shows up at cruise nights here. First time I saw it, thought cool and started looking it over. 

About time I came around to the front the owner popped the hood and there was a chromed-out Chevy 350.🙄

I shook my head and walked off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, rocketraider said:

A 54 Special Estate Wagon shows up at cruise nights here. First time I saw it, thought cool and started looking it over. 

About time I came around to the front the owner popped the hood and there was a chromed-out Chevy 350.🙄

Yes sir, I feel your pain.

12 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Like you, I'd have walked away too. Not necessarily from disapproval, but for lack of interest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Machine Gun said:

Like you, I'd have walked away too. Not necessarily from disapproval, but for lack of interest.

That's it in a nutshell. I totally lost interest once I saw that belly button underhood.

Now, that Kustom EmTee posted... that's the stuff dreams are made of!😋 Looks like a Buick styling exercise that made it out of the advanced styling studio!

• Like 2

I saw that car once (when I photographed it) and haven't seen it since.  I don't know where it went, but I keep my eyes peeled for it.  It was a top-$helf build throughout.  I fully expected to see an LS or some flavor of 350 SBC under the hood, but was pleasantly surprised to see the dual-quad Nailhead.  I couldn't tell what type of transmission it had, though I don't believe it was a stick.  I really wish I could have talked to the owner...

• Like 2

I know that Chevy V-8s will almost always be the "engine of choice" for "upgrades", plus that the LS-family has many improvements from the orig design Chevy small block engine, BUT I ALSO wonder just how well they might be when hooked to a 3-speed automatic or DynaFlow, much less a PowerGlide transmission?  Although a THM700/4L60 might be a bit better with its 3.07 low gear ratio, compared to the 2.52 in a THM350, 1.74 in a PowerGlide, but an approx 4.70 in the current 8-speeds.  I just can't help bur suspect that much of the LS-family engines' performance cred is related to the 8-speed automatic's gear ratios?  Plus the big horsepower numbers of their typical dyno runs?  As most dyno runs start at 2500+rpm.

Going the opposite direction, if a THM400 will perk-up a '64 LeSabre 401, then think what a modern 8-speed would do with its DEEP low gear ratio and decreased power absorption with 3.42-3.64 rear axle gearing?

Just some ponderings,

NTX5467

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NTX5467 said:

Although a THM700/4L60 might be a bit better with its 3.07 low gear ratio, compared to the 2.52 in a THM350, 1.74 in a PowerGlide, but an approx 4.70 in the current 8-speeds.

That deep 1st gear ratio the 700 has, specifically its steep drop to a 1.63 2nd gear, is a major reason I dislike them.

Anyone who has ever driven a 61-64 Oldsmobile or Pontiac with a Slim Jim will understand! Shudder-clunk-lurch...😏

I wondered if, with dual-quads, the Kustom might have a 64-66 Nailhead which works with a Super Turbine 400. I'd almost expect to see a four-link rear suspension under it too, which eliminates the torque tube issue.

• Like 1

I strongly concur with your orientation on the THM700 gear ratios.  I was always impressed with how smooth that shift was, considering now much gap it had to cover . . . which meant "slippage" somewhere.

I rode to high school with a neighbor's son.  He was driving a hand-me-down '55 Olds 88 they had bought new.  It would travel one car length in 1st, then CLUNK into 2nd, and away we went.  They also had a '63 LeSabre with DynaFlow, too.  The Buick NailHead off-idle torque made a lot of difference.

A few years ago, I found a road test of a '63 or so F-85 Cutlass with the 215 V-8 and HydraMatic.  What surprised me was how slow it was when compared to a 231 V-6 Skylark with the Dual-Path DynaFlow.  Fewer gears, similar power ratings, and the Buick was a bit quick in acceleration.  Obviously, the HM absorbed more power to make up for its 4 gears.

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

4 hours ago, rocketraider said:

I wondered if, with dual-quads, the Kustom might have a 64-66 Nailhead which works with a Super Turbine 400. I'd almost expect to see a four-link rear suspension under it too, which eliminates the torque tube issue.

That's what I would expect.  May have started with a '64 425/ST-400.  Could be a '65 with switch-pitch?  That would be sweet...