Historic Ford Motor Plant to Be Demolished in Florida

Crusty Trucker

It was declared a National Landmark in 2003 but can still be torn down ? Progress and neglect once again win out over our national history , especially local history.

Decades ago when row houses in London were being torn down , preservation orders came in and the facades were saved and restored, everything behind that was taken away and new more modern adaptable to today's advanced technology to make it more useable viable in the "modern" sense. I was in London , England and saw this being done and upon request some really nice on site workers gave me a tour of the rework and in some cases rehab being done. The row houses facades remained to reflect the 1800's and earlier but now the real estate was more up to date for modern application. The workers asked me if I wanted to see it, not me them - they observed me walking down the street taking photos of the transoms above the doors that were ornate in design of the Victorian era and earlier  and wondered " what are you doing mate"?  I guess it was perhaps obvious that I was a tourist by my dress .  This was 35-40 years ago.

"Still crazy after all these years".

• Like 4

There are no limits to what can be done with a building with good bones. Ford Motor Company assembled Model Ts in London, Ontario. The building went through a number of owners over the years and was eventually purchased by Siskinds law firm. They have done a great job of repurposing the place, while leaving some of the interior features intact, including the ramp that once was used to move cars between floors.

Ford assembly plant London.jpg

Ford plant today.jpg

• Like 2

This was the Cadillac dealership and service center in Cincinnatti, Ohio, now repurposed as headquarters for an engineering firm.  I spent a good bit of time there, designing a new plant, bottom floor is a parking garage with large concrete support pillars.

It’s built on the side of a hill, at four stories it is the tallest building in the United States having all levels accessible at grade.

8D4A32F1-574F-4960-80EB-BE1E47A4D41A.png

• Like 2

I love architecture. This thread is generating some great photos and comments. Perhaps a new thread is in order on period buildings that have automotive heritage ( manufacturing, coach builders, dealership, service etc) Before and current are of great interest, especially if the buildings have not seen drastic changes in style to accommodate modern attitudes ( yuch!  fooey) 

No I won't start it I already started to many things here , trying to behave , but I have way to many ideas that just float into my head.  Don't want the good guys in charge of all this to get mad at me 🙄😲

• Like 1

Here's the Ford plant at Point Richmond CA (near San Francisco) Now the Rosie the Riveter National Museum. There is also a lot of commercial space.

It was restored about 2003. Happy to say I helped them get correct glass for the many many windows.

Photo of auto factory across the water. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Prewarnut - yes i have seen the Studebaker dealership just outside of Riverhead but it has been about 3 decades + since I last saw it. THANKS for the heads up.

Also on long island is a Pontiac/Oakland dealership in Glen Cove that last I knew of was a Piano Exchange place where old pianos were bought and sold. This was Paddison Motors. I have a photo of the dealership when new - my aunt was controller of business for the Cadillac dealership that was in there at one point in the 1960s. There is another interesting story I have to write down - W.D. Paddison got the dealership in thanks from financier J.P Morgan - Paddison was Morgan's chauffeur in the teens/twenties.  Morgan had his estate here on long island in the Glen Cove area.

At one time this was the Studebaker sales and production building in Chicago on Michigan Ave, now called the Fine Arts building. I think Studebaker made wagons at this location not sure if cars were assembled there. The Studebaker theater has been around since the late 1890’s. 
dave s 

3501DB5F-13BA-46B0-BE46-484EE935F851.jpeg

81D32540-2998-4A65-B328-9F1E998A5C13.jpeg

• Like 1

British Motor Center, San Jose, CA.

This building was the original British Motor Center in San Jose CA when I was in high scchool in around 1960. It has gone through many transitions since that time. Forty years later it was a store selling items for babys (hence the pink paint and sinage). In 2016 it was the area BMW motorcycle/Vespa scooter dealership and continues to be today.

It was an attention-getting mid-century building when it was built in the '50's, but is pretty well camouflaged and unappreciated today. Unfortunate, but at least its still standing and is occupied.

Uploaded image

BMC San Jose 2007.jpeg

bmc sanjose 2016.jpeg

bmc 2021.jpeg

6 hours ago, Walt G said:

It was declared a National Landmark in 2003 but can still be torn down ?...

Sadly, yes:

Listing of private property as a National Historic Landmark or in the National Register does not prohibit under Federal law or regulations any actions which may otherwise be taken by the property owner with respect to the property. The National Park Service may recommend to owners various preservation actions but owners are not obligated to carry out these recommendations. Property owners are free to make whatever changes they wish if Federal funding, licensing, or permits are not involved.

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/nationalhistoriclandmarks/faqs.htm

32 minutes ago, CHuDWah said:

There needs to be action by the local government to protect historic resources. My town has three historic districts where you cannot alter the outside of the building without review by the local government. I think it's a good think but not all property owners agree. 

• Like 1

The Ford assembly plant has been saved and converted into a small business and activities hub.  Designed by Albert Kahn in 1924, the plant began assembling Model T's and was in operation until 1932 by Ford.  It then became a weapons depot for the US Army and finally a warehouse before its recent reincarnation as Camp North End.  Most of the buildings have been preserved.

History - Camp North End