Modern rim to use for a '63 spare?

Aaron65

Not really, you need the bumps between the bolt holes to make room for the Rivet heads on the brake drum.  Any 15” wheel from a fifties or sixties Buick should work. Wheels are not model specific. Just make sure it’s from a full sized model with the 5 on 5 bolt circle.  You will find the wheels in both 5.5” and 6” widths. Wheel width is measured between the beads on the rim, not across the beads. But, full sized GM as well as C series Chevy pickups have the 5 on 5 bolt pattern. There’s a guy on Facebook by the name of David Jackson who lives in Michigan and deals in Buick stuff.

Aaron, be sure to measure the diameter of the center hole of the wheel you plan to buy. Make sure it matches the hole diameter on the wheels you have now.

For example, remove a rear hubcap and measure the rim center hole that is mated to the ridge that sticks up out of the face of the brake drum. Your new wheel should match that. 

Too small of a center hole will not sit right on the hub or drum. I've been told too large of a center hole does not give proper wheel support; I'm not 100% sure about that.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2022 at 8:20 AM, kegart said:

Try Dan Jackson. 

313 516 1289

He is near Detroit 

Kevin 

@kegart thank you for the phone number, I contacted Riviera Dan, and he going to hook me up with some parts for a 1963 Riviera for a friend of mines recent purchase.

Bob

If you’re only looking for a spare, not a 5th tire to be used in rotation as was the deal in 1963, you might check to see if a space saver tire from an early to mid 90s Buick Roadmaster (Estate Wagon), Oldsmobile 98 (Custom Cruiser), or Chevy Caprice wagon might work for you.  The same 5 on 5 bolt pattern. Wouldn’t take near the room as a full sized tire.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2022 at 1:34 PM, RivNut said:

you might check to see if a space saver tire from an early to mid 90s Buick Roadmaster (Estate Wagon), Oldsmobile 98 (Custom Cruiser), or Chevy Caprice wagon might work

Interesting. What about hub ID on space saver spares from those cars? Chevy pickups had the smaller hub when 1963 Rivieras had the larger hub.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, XframeFX said:

Interesting. What about hub ID on space saver spares from those cars? Chevy pickups had the smaller hub when 1963 Rivieras had the larger hub.

I don’t know about that.  I never had reason to pull the space saver from my Roadmaster, I just knew that it was a 5 on 5 bolt pattern.  

• Thanks 1