65 Bucket Seats

AMB

On 11/4/2022 at 5:09 PM, AMB said:

I am looking for the plastic trim around the bottom of both seats on a 65 Riviera. Does anyone repop. these. Thanks.

Be careful when purchasing these pieces as there are differences between the 3 years. This could save you from wasting a lot of money buying the wrong pieces. I found this out the hard way when I assembled the pieces for my 63. The passenger seat does not have the same trim pieces as the driver's side. The passenger seat just has 2 pieces, one on each of the rear feet. I put together a compilation of the differences between the 3 years with pictures after I had done my car with pictures. I copied that and hope it will come through here. 

I don't believe Gene of AB & G has anymore pieces that he made up. He was not sure that he would have more made up the last time I talked to him which was only a couple of weeks ago. 

Bill

SEAT TRIM AND BRACKET DIFFERENCES/SIMILARITIES BETWEEN 1963 & 1964-1965

As stated by Tom T. and Tom M. the grain on the 63 & 64 pieces was the Seville grain pattern and the 65 was the Madrid grain pattern.

The differences in the years I was referring to were differences in the configuration of some of the actual trim pieces and the brackets that hold them. From trying to assemble the pieces for my own car, being sold the wrong pieces for my 63, disassembling my seat, disassembling seats from the other years and information I have read on other posts in this forum I have come to the following conclusions:

1.) The trim pieces that attach to the back of the PASSENGER seat tracks are the same for all 3 years. Pictures 1 & 2.

2.) The 2 trim pieces that attach to the RIGHT side of the DRIVER'S seat are the same for all 3 years. Pictures 3 & 4

3.) The DRIVER'S seat LEFT INSIDE/LOWER trim piece and brackets are the same for all years.  Pictures 5 & 6

4.) The DRIVER'S seat OUTER/UPPER trim piece is different for the 1963 than the 1964-1965 trim piece. Pictures 7 & 8

5.) The DRIVER'S seat UPPER/FRONT trim bracket is slightly different for the 1963 than the 1964-1965 bracket. Pictures 9 & 10

6.) The DRIVER'S seat UPPER/REAR trim bracket is different for the 1963 than the 1964-1965 bracket. The 1964-1965 bracket is 3 1/4" wide and the 1963 bracket is 4" wide. The 1964-1965 bracket is 1 1/2" tall and the 1963 bracket is 1 7/8" tall. The mounting tabs on the 1964-1965 bracket are angled whereas the 63 bracket mounting tabs are straight. Pictures 11 & 12

As far as the outer trim piece and brackets on the LEFT DRIVER'S side. I believe you can use the 1964-1965 trim piece and brackets on a 1963 and you can use the 1963 trim piece and brackets on a 1964-1965 as long as you have all of the same pieces for that specific year(s). You cannot mix and match the upper/outer brackets and trim piece of different year categories. 

Bill

IMG_6733.JPG

IMG_6735.JPG

IMG_6720.JPG

IMG_6537.JPG

IMG_6399.JPG

IMG_6543.JPG

63 & 64-65 outer trim pieces.jpeg

Seat Trim Pieces Riviera Bob.jpg

IMG_6596.JPG

IMG_6597.JPG

IMG_6397.JPG

IMG_6398.JPG

Edited by Riviera63 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

These trim pieces are very hard to get.  You might find one piece and spend years looking for the rest of them (like me). So, finding a full set for both seats will be a challenge!

These trims were often removed to service the power seat, replace the carpet, or hunt for objects lost under the seats, and the trims not reinstalled. 

The single correct piece I found is the curved long one that hides the electric motor guts on the driver's seat. It was black, and my car has a dark green interior.  I later found a similar piece from a '60's Cadillac passenger seat that I could modify to fit my passenger seat.  I got rattle can of spray paint made up to match my interior color and sprayed the two pieces and installed them.  An expert will know they aren't correct, but anyone else wouldn't know the difference and I'm happy with them until I find a full set of the proper trims for my '65.

I can't include photos as I'm away from home at the moment, but can post some once I return later this month.

On 11/8/2022 at 8:37 AM, abandg said:

This is what I had made a few years ago and I couldn't get any more dome. This was made of metal and was a great fit. I am trying to get more made and will let you know if I can. Gene.

FD50D3B0-A289-45CB-BC7F-39C057429C44.jpeg

40ABD113-3935-40DB-8F1F-DA27B0ED76CB.jpeg

Hi Gene, Please keep me/us posted on repro progress. Thx, MrRivAG

Edited by MrAG Riv (see edit history)

On 11/7/2022 at 1:56 PM, Riviera63 said:

Be careful when purchasing these pieces as there are differences between the 3 years. This could save you from wasting a lot of money buying the wrong pieces. I found this out the hard way when I assembled the pieces for my 63. The passenger seat does not have the same trim pieces as the driver's side. The passenger seat just has 2 pieces, one on each of the rear feet. I put together a compilation of the differences between the 3 years with pictures after I had done my car with pictures. I copied that and hope it will come through here. 

I don't believe Gene of AB & G has anymore pieces that he made up. He was not sure that he would have more made up the last time I talked to him which was only a couple of weeks ago. 

Bill

SEAT TRIM AND BRACKET DIFFERENCES/SIMILARITIES BETWEEN 1963 & 1964-1965

As stated by Tom T. and Tom M. the grain on the 63 & 64 pieces was the Seville grain pattern and the 65 was the Madrid grain pattern.

The differences in the years I was referring to were differences in the configuration of some of the actual trim pieces and the brackets that hold them. From trying to assemble the pieces for my own car, being sold the wrong pieces for my 63, disassembling my seat, disassembling seats from the other years and information I have read on other posts in this forum I have come to the following conclusions:

1.) The trim pieces that attach to the back of the PASSENGER seat tracks are the same for all 3 years. Pictures 1 & 2.

2.) The 2 trim pieces that attach to the RIGHT side of the DRIVER'S seat are the same for all 3 years. Pictures 3 & 4

3.) The DRIVER'S seat LEFT INSIDE/LOWER trim piece and brackets are the same for all years.  Pictures 5 & 6

4.) The DRIVER'S seat OUTER/UPPER trim piece is different for the 1963 than the 1964-1965 trim piece. Pictures 7 & 8

5.) The DRIVER'S seat UPPER/FRONT trim bracket is slightly different for the 1963 than the 1964-1965 bracket. Pictures 9 & 10

6.) The DRIVER'S seat UPPER/REAR trim bracket is different for the 1963 than the 1964-1965 bracket. The 1964-1965 bracket is 3 1/4" wide and the 1963 bracket is 4" wide. The 1964-1965 bracket is 1 1/2" tall and the 1963 bracket is 1 7/8" tall. The mounting tabs on the 1964-1965 bracket are angled whereas the 63 bracket mounting tabs are straight. Pictures 11 & 12

As far as the outer trim piece and brackets on the LEFT DRIVER'S side. I believe you can use the 1964-1965 trim piece and brackets on a 1963 and you can use the 1963 trim piece and brackets on a 1964-1965 as long as you have all of the same pieces for that specific year(s). You cannot mix and match the upper/outer brackets and trim piece of different year categories. 

Bill

IMG_6733.JPG

IMG_6735.JPG

IMG_6720.JPG

IMG_6537.JPG

IMG_6399.JPG

IMG_6543.JPG

63 & 64-65 outer trim pieces.jpeg

Seat Trim Pieces Riviera Bob.jpg

IMG_6596.JPG

IMG_6597.JPG

IMG_6397.JPG

IMG_6398.JPG

Thank you for your write up with samples and photographs.

Would not the brackets still be in place on the seat? It seems the need is for the plastic trim and not the brackets? My basis for assumption the brackets aren’t needed is known as a guess. Would you speculate the need for brackets?

Turbinator

22 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Thank you for your write up with samples and photographs.

Would not the brackets still be in place on the seat? It seems the need is for the plastic trim and not the brackets? My basis for assumption the brackets aren’t needed is known as a guess. Would you speculate the need for brackets?

Turbinator

You are welcome Bob. 

Just like the trim, the brackets were often discarded when the seats were disassembled for whatever reason. I would think that people would discard the brackets if their trim was broken or missing. My seat was missing the brackets when I purchased my car. My seats had been reupholstered and I am guessing they were discarded at that time. 

Obviously, if your brackets are in place there is no need to buy them. One needs to buy just the pieces they are missing. In my case, I needed all of the trim and brackets. Someone else might just need one piece of trim.

Bill