1986 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO HEADLINER

STEVE POLLARD

After 36 years, the headliner on my T-Top Monte Carlo is starting to sag. The composite board is breaking apart, so there's no point of trying to reattach the headliner material. I ordered a new ABS plastic headliner that is covered in the exact color of my original interior headliner. I never changed a headliner before..... no instructions came with the new headliner.... has any member change a G-body ( Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Chevy )  headliner ? I figure that I would ask here first, maybe there are some interior experts.

Thanks !

Remove all the moldings around the edge and the dome light.  Drop it down and slide it back.  Position the front edge under the steering wheel with both doors open.  Continue to rotate it under the steering wheel and slide it out the driver's door.  I've never used a fiberglass replacement. Hopefully it will be flexible enough to put back in the same way so you don't have to remove the front seat.

• Like 1

My 79 uses some plastic clips both front and rear. Pretty sure yours has similar. 
They will be brittle and probably break when taken apart. They are available from several sources. Might want to grab a copy of a assembly manual for yours. Helps with much more than what you are planning. 

• Like 1

It is nearly impossible to remove the garnish molding without breaking the clips. New ones should be available from the usual clip sources. These headliner boards went in through the windshield opening before the glass was installed. People have forced them out through the doors, but you risk damage in the process. The T-tops probably make that easier in your case. It might help to pull the front seats out first.

• Like 2

I just completed the install of the new headliner. I removed the glass T-Tops and folded down both seats, this gave me enough room to work. I had purchase clips just in case the originals failed, but no issues with those as well. I took my time ( 2hrs ), everything is plastic and I didn't want to take a chance on breaking something...everything went smooth ! Here are some before and after pictures. 

Thanks for all the input !

Steve

image.png.2eb2041a5d1b090bd6f3d26eda930a2c.png

image.png.bfeb0c03c0567915974e3d45dc335039.pngimage.png.14eee102c16dc12c66ac52ce450dc3de.pngimage.png.2f36d108ba557488f80f50288c97dcd9.pngimage.png.c3faab43834cabd4a8d777e9add66de8.png

• Like 4

As many of you know the car manufactures went to a foam backed headlinger material sometime in the '80's. 

Over time the foam fails,  the material may be fine.   but you cannot reglue the material because of the poor condition of the

foam backing.   Some of the large fabric shops carry the foam backed material but only in the most popular colors. 

I have done several and my tips.... with a wire brush, remove all the foam residue you can.  before gluing the new material to 

the backing.   I always add some insulation or sound deading to the top before reinstalling the headliner.   

I have used bubble plastic with foil on both side and I have also used dynamate type sound deading.   anything you add will help

with noise. 

• Like 1

That is unfortunately typical for the 1980s GM headliners. The cloth is bonded to the foam, and the foam is bonded to the headliner board. As with all GM plastics from the 1980s, the foam turns to dust in about 10 years, causing the cloth and headliner board to part company.

Just saw this. I have done a few on Trans Ams late second gen. Same thing, different car. Rotted foam! It looks like the Monte Carlo only has a headliner on the backside of the t tops. The ones on my car go through to the front and form a big H. A bit tricky for a one man job. I will add for anyone that may need a new board, I used a piece of FRP panel from HD or Lowes. In my case the cardboard backer was also rotted beyond, it was easier making a new panel from local material than paying outrageous shipping on a replacement.