Newbie looking for some parts - 1929 Buick Master 116 sedan

505buick

Hi guys I just got my first antique today! It’s a 1929 Buick 116 sedan. It’s pretty complete but I was wondering g there were any good sites for stuff like gaskets and stuff? I can’t find anything. What I am really looking for immediately is a rear diff gasket, oil filter housing and a fuel tank. If anyone can help I’d appreciate it thanks 

add one more important part, I need the “spider gears” and pin for the rear differential 

96283D78-2815-4AC4-9357-6E1129FD3155.jpeg

3DF7A730-BA42-4F6D-8B94-51B5CBC79D2B.jpeg

Edited by 505buick (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Pretty straight looking old car.  Lots if tech wisdom on here and the Silver anniversary group.  We would need a picture of the filter housing you have, Diff gasket is easily made but Olson's Gaskets are the supplier of all things gasket.  Gas tank may be a bigger issue. Others will chime in on that.

• Like 1

Miguel:

We need to know what model your car is - as parts for the small (Standard) engine models (116") are different that parts for the big engine (Master) models (121" & 129").

See <https://www.29buickphotos.com/Information/Radiator-Radiator-Caps/i-DvPg7ss> and the next picture for the Master radiator thermostat housing.  I believe the Standard is similar except the angle is greater.

There is also a radiator thermostat base which is inside the top radiator tank (same for both Standard and Master models).  Here is a picture: <https://www.29buickphotos.com/Information/Engine-Information-inc-Colour/i-22P6Bhm> and picture before this one. (4 bolt holes need to be drilled in this reproduction.)

Bill McLaughlin

1929 Silver Anniversary Buick Club

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Newbie looking for some parts - 1929 Buick Master 121 sedan
  • 505buick changed the title to Newbie looking for some parts - 1929 Buick Master 116 sedan

Well, it looks like the locking shaft and the bolt/pin that holds it in place is missing.  On my '38, the axle shafts are retained by C-clips and the clips are locked in place with the shaft that you are missing.  On my car, I remove the bolt/pin that holds the locking shaft in place and then remove the shaft.  Then it looks like yours, but without the castle nuts.  Instead, with the shaft removed I can push the axle inward and then remove the C-clip.  With the C-clip removed, my axle shaft pulls straight out.  The shaft (missing from your carrier) prevents the axles from moving inward.

I don't know whether the threaded axle shafts are correct for your car, or whether they should have C-clips like mine.  It looks like your axles are retained by the castle nuts.  So, I'm assuming that the shafts are pulled-in as far as they can go by the nuts, so the locking shaft isn't needed to keep them from moving inward.

That's a long-winded way of saying either nothing is missing, or someone has modified the rear axle to use different axle shafts (or possibly a later model carrier) in order to eliminate the need for the locking shaft.  I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to answer that question for your '29 model car.

Hmmmm, I just read your other post and now I am really confused -- I don't see the other two spider gears either!

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1929 series 116 Spider gears, or "differential side pinion" as Buick called them, interchange with 1930 series 40 and 1931-32 series 60.  It looks to me like your differential was temporarily re-assembled without completing a repair and the spider gears were set aside.  It would be prudent to clean up everything remaining and check condition in case something else needs replacement.  If bearings are bad, its not hard to find NOS New Departure bearings at bargain prices on e-bay.  Those bearings are a common  metric size that was used for lots of other applications.

• Like 3

It probably also had bronze thrust washers under the missing gears, and maybe under the side gears too. Are there any under the side gears now? Buick was using nuts on the shafts on some models as late as 37. The safety wire looks haphazard, and as if it would interfere with the missing shaft. That probably needs redoing. Anyone in here got a parts manual old enough to figure this out?

I don't remember any bronze washers on this old a diff, but i've been wrong before. It looks like you are just missing the 2 gears, the pin, and the locking cross pin. BUT by the look of that crown gear you may need the crown and pinion too. Of course, once it has had a bath you will be able to tell for sure.

• Like 2

If the axles and castle nuts are correct, then I would expect Cotter pins to secure them.  That rat's nest of wire certainly won't work when the missing parts are installed.  I agree that at this point, it would probably be best to disassemble the rear end and clean/inspect what you have.  I'd worry that bearings could have developed some flash rust due to sitting dry and exposed...

The left axle is pushed in a bit. if you get rid of the haywire and pull the axle out , it will fit.  No C clips on these.  You gotta weasle the nuts off to get the axles out.  The Master series had a MUCH better axle. 

A quick search online turns up 2 possible sources for rear differential. 

The rear axle is located in Minnesota and appears to be a 1929 series 116.   

https://brainerd.craigslist.org/pts/d/walker-1930-buick-rear-end/7549114379.html

the chassis is located in Idaho, I can't see enough to verify which series this one is. 

https://twinfalls.craigslist.org/pts/d/paul-1929-buick-roadster-or-rat-rod/7550218886.html

00I0I_aMEh2eIfN9nz_0CI0sZ_1200x900.jpg

01111_2dugPcbHhggz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg