Nickel stem tubes - not nickel

Trreinke

I realize that metal stem tire tubes are tough to get a hold of right now, but I did found a couple. I was told the stems were nickel, all the markings on the packaging says they should be nickel. But clearly they are brass. I don't want to return them since metal stems are in short supply right now.

My question: what can I do to make these look better? Chrome paint?

Looking for any advice you can give! Thanks in advance.

20221026_190437.jpg

Something funny there? Are you sure those aren't second hand? The only thing like that I ever saw that looked like that is on one of my cars. Car is not running, and the ancient tubes I had in it were giving up one by one. Finally down to three, I bought two brand new high quality inner tubes to fit. SOMEHOW (don't ask), I managed to break one of the brass stems. My fault, don't blame the manufacturer. Not going to request a replacement, nor did I want to buy another. The stem I broke snapped off about halfway up. So, I cut it back to solid metal, drilled it to fit the end of an old truck brass stem I had cut a couple inches of the end off, and very carefully (so as to not overheat the vulcanized stem enough to compromise the rubber tube) soldered the end in place. 

That looks a lot like mine! Mine is working fine for a non running car, and I would probably trust it for a car I was driving a lot! 

The simplest thing to do would be to use it (provided it holds air fine and appears well done?). And put a nice valve stem cover over it.

Of course, the big question is, where did you buy it? And should you return it? How much was it? Basically, is having the tube now worth more than going to the trouble to exchange it?

And, of course, safety is the most important aspect. If the stem doesn't appear to be safely secured? Replacing the stem would be a better plan. However, most tubes manufactured in the recent twenty years have material chemistry that makes old style chem-bond type stems problematical. I have done antique style brass valve stems on 1920s era cars for many years with great success! However, some newer tubes are so badly made out of flimsy thin artificial material that I have had trouble getting the tube to hold and seal on the stems!

The tubes themselves look brand new and hold air. I did get them from a reputable dealer that many of you likely know. The tubes came out of what looked like factory sealed boxes from the manufacturer (not the dealer). The only issue is how they look. 

I would rather have a well functioning tube that does not look great than give up the tube since now since everyone else I have talked to said that nickel stem tubes are backordered until possibly spring.

I could put a different style stem cover on them but that would not be correct for the car.

Thanks for the advice so far.

7 hours ago, 95Cardinal said:

If you decide to keep the parts and want to nickel plate the stems, this works:

https://caswellplating.com/plug-n-plate-nickel-kit.html

I agree nickel plating is the correct solution. Nickel is slightly tricky to get looking good (e.g. decorative nickel versus a barrier coat). The other issue is that it can built up a thickness and foul the fine threads for the cap. It may be worth the investment of the kit and practice thus being able to do other parts in the future....I use a differnent company's kit but Caswell is well known.

Welcome to the world of……….excuses and good enough. Nothing today is as it is represented. Lack of effort, mediocre performance, and a mile of excuses. It’s the way of the world today. 

• Like 3

Hey Ed my friend had some shirts made that say does anybody know what they are doing?

Boy do I believe it now.  

Several instances recently but went to get insurance cards yesterday for a new winter vehicle and did the whole online thing including check the box that says I'm going to register the vehicle today.  Good thing I looked at the cards before heading to DMV.  They didn't take effect until today. Called the company,  they sent me a new batch via email.  I printed those and then found they had switched the owner to my wife, when the one I filled out had me.  Wouldn't be an issue but I know DMV would not like that as they gave me a bunch of flack over not having my middle initial on my cards but on my registration.  So the wrong owner would definitely be a problem.  A 3rd set was finally issued and was correct.  The big problem,  is if I had not caught both of their mistakes it would have been 2 wasted trips to DMV.  

I can't believe the number of errors I have caught on stuff,  like our recent land transaction, the last land transaction.  Seems now,  expect things to not be right and be pleasantly surprised if they are. 

I laughed when my wife called on speaker phone and I heard them say you'll be connected to an insurance professional in a few moments.  If they are professionals heaven help us.