Oldsmobile Expert - 1976 Olds Cutlass S

STEVE POLLARD

Been looking at this 1976 Olds Cutlass S on another web site.. I kinda like it, but I'm not familiar with Olds...  can any of the Olds experts here,  fill me in on this year if there are any known issues, good / bad. Low mileage ( 33,000 ) looks like it's in really nice condition... they are asking $20k or best offer....don't tell my wife..🙂

image.png.69518a2095c8130020adaf048f8f198c.png

image.png.dc9c156ba15dc3728ce9177db44dfb56.png

image.png.720e802b775db7317f832d078aab2631.pngimage.png.f8150e52b60a1496a164f39d1392bfa2.png

• Like 2

I'm not an 'expert', but I do remember these cars when they were new.  I worked at my best friend's father's service station and there were several regular customers with various versions of these cars.  It was THE best selling car of 1976 - and I think it was the same for '75 and fell to #2 behind the new for '77 Chevy Impala.

These were great cars, as evidenced by their popularity at the time.  With the Rocket 350 and Turbohydramatic they were dead reliable.  If You have a chance to buy a clean, low-mileage example like the one above, I say 'go for it'!  ;)

https://bestsellingcarsblog.com/1977/01/usa-1976-oldsmobile-cutlass-still-americas-favourite/

• Thanks 1

Turbohydramatic they were dead reliable.  If You have a chance to buy a clean, low-mileage example like the one above, I say 'go for it'!  ;)

Unless it means you will be sleeping with it in the garage, remember winter is coming.😀

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, K8096 said:

Unfortunately it has a V6, bench seat, and is clock delete.

That would be the odd-fire Buick V6.  I had a '77 Century 4-DR with that engine (and a posi rear end).  It's an odd feeling engine until you get up to speed.  It was a reliable car, though and gave decent gas mileage.

If I were looking for a '76 Cutlass, I would find a coupe with the 350 and THM, like the subject of this thread.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, EmTee said:

If I were looking for a '76 Cutlass, I would find a coupe with the 350 and THM, like the subject of this thread.

I agree. The Olds 350 is the best thing GM had going in that period, hands down. They must have made about eleventy zillion Olds 350 powered Cutlass Supremes. The main difference is the roofline. I used to see those come in to the shop with 150,000 miles on them, no major mechanical issues, and not burning oil at a time when a lot of cars had trouble making it out of warranty. You won't do any better than this in the malaise era, but you sure could do a lot worse.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, K8096 said:

While the tan car in the original post is very nice, I think 20K is way too much.   You should get a 442 with bucket seats & console for that kind of money.  

Not these days you won't. A clean original low mileage 442 is way much more than 20K 

Per the owner " For sale by owner, a 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S with 33,000 original miles. Full documentation provided including original sales receipt, original window sticker, and maintenance record. The car has earned numerous awards through the Olds Club of Wisconsin and a Best in Class through the Oldsmobile Club of America. The car is located in northeastern Wisconsin. I am asking $20,000, OBO. "

9 minutes ago, EmTee said:

That was from 2019...

That’s only 3 years ago. Don’t tell me interest in colonnade cars has increased that much in 3 years to substantially increase prices.  They built hundreds of thousands of them every year.   Bide your time and the exact car you want will appear at a fair price.  Just because some drunk guy over pays for one at Mecum doesn’t mean they all substantially increase in value.  

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, K8096 said:

Don’t tell me interest in colonnade cars has increased that much in 3 years to substantially increase prices.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/oldsmobile/cutlass/1974

The subject car seems to fit the 'high retail' definition, so the asking price isn't outlandish...

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/1976/oldsmobile/cutlass/salon-2-door-hardtop-colonnade

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

Cutlass Supreme vs. 442 comes down to whether you're looking for 'comfort' or 'sport'.  For me, I would take either and let the deciding factors be condition and price (i.e., 'best value')...  ;)

I agree, also, I'm not into pop art graphics.

• Haha 1

The subject car is an "S", not a Supreme, so it's a notch lower in the pecking order.  That said, it really shows beautifully in the pictures, so the 33K mile claim appears to be legit.  The plaid upholstery is unique and looks good in the car.  If I were dickering with the seller the only nit I'd be picking is that I would pay the asking if it were a Supreme, but given it's an "S" with bench seat I'd try to knock-off a couple $K (give-or-take)...

Hard to speculate on price until you actually talk to the seller and gauge their motivation for selling.  If they are losing (or need to find) winter storage, they may be motivated to sell now.

From Wikipedia:

1976: "The base Cutlass line was dropped, with the Cutlass S nameplate now applied to the entry-level coupe and sedan this year – both of which featured an aerodynamic slanted front nose in contrast to the upright front ends of other Cutlass models including the Cutlass Supreme coupe, sedan and wagon, Vista Cruiser wagon, Cutlass Salon coupe and sedan, and the new Cutlass Supreme Brougham coupe. The 4-4-2 option was still offered on Cutlass S coupes as an appearance/handling package."

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

So the pecking order is...

Steve, I think the car is very attractive.  Its condition

looks excellent, the mileage is low, and the plaid cloth

interior is seldom seen.  The brown looks warm to me

and evokes the era.  It sounds like it's owned by a

hobbyist active in the club who, one would hope, took

meticulous care of it.

I looked up in my '76 Olds factory literature (and posted

just as EmTee above was posting).  In the wildly popular

Cutlass line-up for 1976, the order was:

---Cutlass S.  This base model had its own grille, different

from all the others, and I like it best.

---Cutlass 442 was just an option on the Cutlass S this year.

---Cutlass Supreme.

---Cutlass Salon.  This had been the top trim level in 1975.

---Cutlass Supreme Brougham.  Newly added top trim for '76.

Don't be deterred in the least by the lower trim level:  It's the

only one with the sporty sloped grille.  Such a grille is seen

much less often than the other trim levels' grille.  Negotiate

a fair price, less than the asking price, and enjoy the car!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

These mid-'70s Cutlasses with the 350 V8 were good drivers.  Like I said, everyone I knew who owned one at the time loved the car.  If you're seriously considering this car I would definitely call tomorrow and try to go see it ASAP -- it probably won't last long...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I might add that the Cutlass S was the only

Cutlass coupe with the sporty semi-fastback

roofline.  All the other Cutlass trim levels used a

notch-back roofline.

True, but as I said earlier, I like these cars both ways!  ;)

• Like 1