For Sale: 1936 Packard 120B convertible coup - no pics - $78,500 (Deland, FL)

Not Mine - want to by an unfinished car based on the promises of good things to come???

If the answer is no - stop reading and move on... LOL   If yes, well, you heard it here first!

https://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/d/deland-antique-1936-packard-convertible/7546485349.html

1936 Packard 120B convertible coup. This vehicle is completing restoration and will be available soon. This posting is to allow questions and answers pertaining to the Packard and the present status of the restoration process. The Packard will be similar to the illustration that appeared in the 1936 sales brochure. Recent completed work has been to rebuild new brakes, wheel cylinders, brake lines, wheel bearings front and rear. Rebuilt carburetor, new fuel lines, cleaned fuel tank, electric fuel pump, spark plugs, and electrical wiring. I have owned this Packard for 60 years and have taken care to see that it has been maintained in great condition and garage kept. The motor is a 282 cubic inch 8 cylinder which produces 120 hp. and has plenty of power to keep up with any car on the highway. The car has just received a fresh professional paint job in original Packard Cream and has fresh new upholstery in the front seat and in the rumble seat. I will add more features and photos soon and only awaiting installation of new convertible top to complete photographs. Incidentally a 1936 model 120 convertible was the pace car chosen for the 1936 Indianapolis 500 Race. There are many other features about the 1936 Packard 120B that I will detail soon. NADA Classic Car Guides lists the model 120b convertible coup in excellent condition at $88,000. A copy of their guide is attached, I believe this Packard will be close to excellent as it will be a combination of new paint, canvas top, and upholstery and will still retain most of the originality to make it a great car to drive to car shows and go cruising in. Email any questions and I will respond as best I can, until I have all the remaining details completed and photos made.

azz0100q0q_1iYKRQAbE3lz_0sI0t2_1200x900.jpg

So if there is no real car shown how is someone supposed ask relevant questions? This type of ad only works for a collector in the same area as the car.... Wait, this ad is dumb!

4 hours ago, daniel boeve said:

He owned this car for sixty years ....how is that possible ???

I still own a 1931 Chevrolet I bought in 1964, when I was 13 years old, so I’ve owned it 58 years.  Yes, it’s very possible.

As to the ad, it’s a teaser ad by someone who thinks all they have to do is mention a car for sale, and the world will beat down his door wanting to buy it.

In the real world, it takes some work and effort on part of seller to effectively market and sell a car. This is a lazy man’s effort…..

• Like 2

I do feel bad for people that have never sold an antique car before.   Most mean well but they just have no idea what they are doing.   If the paint is done well,  and the condition of the car is nice this is a very desirable car.   Maybe not 78k desirable, but not cheap.   The 60 year ownership is awesome, I'm gonna assume this is the son or daughter selling for the dad.

• Like 2

'A combination of new top, new paint, new upholstery' mechanicals are restored but it still maintains most of its originality? If it turns out like the car in the pic it will be very nice. If as much has been done as they say even pics of it in a current situation would be better. I think AJ is correct that their child is selling. Almost sounds like a non car person ad. Only a non car person would put a magazine picture to show 'what the car can/will look like', as opposed to a car guy's ad showing resto details, Knowing what it will look like when finished.

As a side note, something in the air I suppose. First the Mustang fastback that was shown which is literally in the same town where I got my 79 Trans Am, and now this one in DeLand which is VERY close to where I got my 77 Trans Am. The car gods are trying to tell me something.

• Like 2

As a related aside I have 3 HS buddies smart enough/devoted enough to have kept their first cars, 68 Mustang GTA 390, 45 - 46 years, just finished pro restoration,  70 Chevelle SSE96 4 speed DIY frame off done in the late 80s, car has had a tough life but he still has it, and a 39 Chevy two door, restored to local show winning standards 77 - 82, maintained since then.  Both Chevys 46 + years.  I hope all three of these guys are enjoying them well past the 60 year mark.

11 hours ago, daniel boeve said:

He owned this car for sixty years ....how is that possible ???

It's very possible for someone with a long horizon!

I know a man who has owned a car for 86 years:

He got the car new in December of 1935, right before

he came of driving age, and he still has it.

Up until a year or so ago, he still drove it, and the

experiences that he wrote about were published in

our AACA regional newsletter.

• Like 1