1940 buick roadmaster sport 76s

moses

There are lots of price guides out there that will have pricing info for your BUICK. Also, Hagerty Insurance will be happy to tell you what they feel the value is based on recent sales, both private party and at auction. Just call their 800 number. You don't have to be a customer of theirs.

If you're asking about pricing because you're looking to buy this car, you could share the asking price here on the forum. I'm sure some of the guys will react to that.

Also, if you currently own this car, you may want to advertise here on the forum to find the correct air cleaner for your car. That chrome gizmo looks so out of place. Might also need to check that you have the correct, original carb currently on the car. Perhaps that's why someone went to the modern aftermarket air cleaner for fit. John

• Like 2

Great car! The color scheme is the exact same as my '40 Super Sedan. I also have a '40 76S. Spent its entire life in Baltimore (still has the salesman's sticker in the glove box.) It is black ; I was told it is the original paint!

A little worn, but still looks fairly nice.

Also a great tip re value from Hagarty.

However, my understanding (from this site) is that gray is the correct color for the '40. Green for some earlier years,red for '41 (?)

I was told at Hershey that the dash machining should be with a "diagonal" pattern, not like troops in formation (like what is on this car.)

Charlie

10 hours ago, Drakeule said:

Great car! The color scheme is the exact same as my '40 Super Sedan. I also have a '40 76S. Spent its entire life in Baltimore (still has the salesman's sticker in the glove box.) It is black ; I was told it is the original paint!

A little worn, but still looks fairly nice.

Also a great tip re value from Hagarty.

However, my understanding (from this site) is that gray is the correct color for the '40. Green for some earlier years,red for '41 (?)

I was told at Hershey that the dash machining should be with a "diagonal" pattern, not like troops in formation (like what is on this car.)

Charlie

You are correct on Grey for the engine.  On my computer picture # 5 appears to be blue, hence my comment. The driver side picture further down in the listing looks grey.   I did not see that earlier.  Wonder which it is.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Correct me if I am wrong but the seat upholstery is not correct. If the blue upholstery is a cover it detracts big time in the look of the interior. If that is the actual upholstery it takes away from the value of the car. Sorry to be so blunt! The $42000 estimated value above in my opinion would be for a correct car. This car needs work so I would say you're in the mid 30 grand range. For what's worth both Hagerty and NADA ted to be a little aggressive in the value estimates at times and the economy isn't really on an upswing right now. 

Edited by deac (see edit history)

3 hours ago, deac said:

Correct me if I am wrong but the seat upholstery is not correct. If the blue upholstery is a cover it detracts big time in the look of the interior. If that is the actual upholstery it takes away from the value of the car. Sorry to be so blunt! The $42000 estimated value above in my opinion would be for a correct car. This car needs work so I would say you're in the mid 30 grand range. For what's worth both Hagerty and NADA ted to be a little aggressive in the vale estimates at times and the economy isn't really on an upswing right now. 

Blue front cushion looks like it has a cover. If I had a bunch of money to have the interior redone, I think I'd put down a blanket as well. It's a desirable enough car that you might want to sweat the details to make it 100% correct and get top dollar when you sell. 

I tried looking at the Mecum auction results website to see if I could find a good comp and I could not.  However, here are two examples of what people think the car is worth before the auction, and what it finally sells for which includes the 10% buyers fee. You have to register with Mecum to see the prices. For lower volume cars, I look at Hagerty as a rough guide and I do believe it gets down to a handful of people who really want the car and will pay accordingly.  

To answer your question, I don't know what it is worth. It has one value to people who really want it and another value to people who are just shopping around. 

Estimate - $40K-$50K . Sells for $24,250

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0519-371364/1939-buick-limited-touring-sedan/

Estimate - $35K-$45K.  Sells for $40,150

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0519-371365/1940-buick-limited-touring-sedan/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, deac said:

Correct me if I am wrong but the seat upholstery is not correct. If the blue upholstery is a cover it detracts big time in the look of the interior. If that is the actual upholstery it takes away from the value of the car. Sorry to be so blunt! The $42000 estimated value above in my opinion would be for a correct car. This car needs work so I would say you're in the mid 30 grand range. For what's worth both Hagerty and NADA ted to be a little aggressive in the vale estimates at times and the economy isn't really on an upswing right now. 

You are correct Chris, the material alone cost me 6k to replace my interior with the Bedford Cord that belongs in this car. That was not including the headliner. If the seat cover is hiding the real deal, then never mind.