1932 Ford Coupe Title

TB325WC

18 minutes ago, TB325WC said:

I am searching for a title for a 1932 5 Window Coupe that I am building. 

When you say building does that mean restoring or a hot rod.  If it's a hot rod you might want to check in over on The HAMB.  If you are restoring it then some pictures and let us know where you are and someone should be able to offer some advice.  

• Like 1

How on earth would anybody here or elsewhere on the internet know where the title for OPs car is located and even less so, since he/she didn’t provide a VIN ???

Didn’t the car come with either ?

• Like 1

I was amazed to see a big sign at a Hershey boot saying “Thousands of titles for sale, all makes and years”. I thought it was illegal to sell a title without an actual car? But what do I know, I’m an old computer guy that doesn’t know how to work his phone. 
dave s 

• Like 1

This is common when creating a "1932 Ford" from newly manufactured parts. An ersatz 1932 Ford hot rod will be more valuable if it is actually titled as a 1932 Ford instead of a 2022 Homebuilt. This is a frequent solution--find an old 1932 Ford title and stamp those numbers from the title on the newly manufactured frame or body et voila! 1932 Ford.

Ever wonder why 1932 and 1934 Ford titles cost $1000? It's not because people love hanging them on their garage walls as art.

The rub? What if it's an old title for a car that still exists? With all 50 states having their DMV computers linked, if that serial number still exists in the system you won't be getting a new title or registration.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

I was amazed to see a big sign at a Hershey boot saying “Thousands of titles for sale, all makes and years”. I thought it was illegal to sell a title without an actual car? But what do I know, I’m an old computer guy that doesn’t know how to work his phone. 
dave s 

Historical documents.  It’s what you do with it AFTER you buy it that matters.

• Thanks 1

This is a nasty subject loaded with pitfalls and landmines and serious potential legal ramifications. As TerryB says, having or "owning" the historic piece of paper is fine. But it is what one might or might not do with that piece of paper that matters.

I generally avoid this subject for a variety of reasons. The really stupid thing about it is that a few states actually encouraged residents to get "lost" titles and "attach" them to a car missing its title. THIS, while MOST states consider the practice absolutely ILLEGAL!

Point of fact and discloser, I do not know if any states still do that anymore or not. There was quite an uproar about this issue a few years ago, and talk then of doing away with the practice of using illegitimate titles in a couple of those states.

Point of fact and opinion. Only a few states managed to maintain registration records all the way from the beginning of registrations. And NO states began registration with the first car. That coupled with owners losing registrations, moving, dying, and a hundred other reasons, leaves millions of legitimate automobiles with no official record of title. State governments have an obligation to their citizens to have a reasonable process for regenerating a title for cars that have had their titles lost along the way. Marrying a legitimate car with an illegitimate title was never right. The possibility always exists that the title's actual car may exist somewhere. In addition, nearly a dozen states did not require automobile registration for decades! That left a lot of cars as having never been registered! States need to acknowledge those facts and provide reasonable means for licensing cars whether their registrations were lost or never existed.

Hot rods and other types of re-creations are a whole other can of worms.

• Like 2

I saw several sign's at Hershey selling Titles and all said "for historical and title collectors only". This subject has been kicked around before and while it's illegal to use a purchased a title and re-stamp your car with the titles numbers, some have said it was their only recourse. Some states are impossible to register a car with out the title and if you have spent many thousands to restore or hot rod your vehicle, it leaves you no choice. Always get the proper paperwork for your automobile purchases and know from you local DMV what is required for registering the car. I for one would never purchase a car without the proper paperwork. One famous hot rod builder that has since passed away, got into serious trouble because the California DMV gave him so much trouble getting legal paperwork for the car's he built. He simply went out and purchased titles and got caught.

9 hours ago, 3macboys said:

When you say building does that mean restoring or a hot rod.  If it's a hot rod you might want to check in over on The HAMB.  If you are restoring it then some pictures and let us know where you are and someone should be able to offer some advice.  

The HAMB bands people for asking for "paperwork" AACA should do the same. 

4 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

The HAMB bands people for asking for "paperwork" AACA should do the same. 

My concern with that would be that the OP may have been asking the question in the wrong way - if he is looking for a title to use to stamp or restamp a car then I agree, however, they may be asking how do they go about legitimately titling a car with a missing/lost title.  The OP has not provided enough information to give an answer.  Here in Ontario we have Ownerships instead of Titles and it is actually a very simple process to get a replacement Ownership.  Again, though, the OP has not provided enough information and any response until they do is based on conjecture of what their intent and real question is.