First Gen - touching up silver on dash

65VerdeGS

Before I fumble in with a paintbrush, any tips or techniques on how to repaint the turn signal and high beam bezels in the middle of the dash on my '65?  Mine are missing portions of the silver paint originally applied at the factory.  I thought "Argent Silver" paint would be a good match, but fear making a mess of it as this isn't the easiest area to access while keeping a steady hand while painting.  

image.png.854067f2bff97ce38b6c4c43caace710.png

I thought of using those plastic applicators with a tiny foam tip.  Would that work?

Anyone done this job with the dash in the car?  

Any tips/ideas appreciated.

7 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Before I fumble in with a paintbrush, any tips or techniques on how to repaint the turn signal and high beam bezels in the middle of the dash on my '65?  Mine are missing portions of the silver paint originally applied at the factory.  I thought "Argent Silver" paint would be a good match, but fear making a mess of it as this isn't the easiest area to access while keeping a steady hand while painting.  

image.png.854067f2bff97ce38b6c4c43caace710.png

I thought of using those plastic applicators with a tiny foam tip.  Would that work?

Anyone done this job with the dash in the car?  

Any tips/ideas appreciated.

Alex, 

i found it about impossible to get a good result in the car due to the raised edge around it. When I did the interior I used good old testers silver model paint and a brush when it was apart. Good luck though. 

8474BC32-87F2-464A-8A64-20BE1B646184.jpeg

0A363D82-C7DA-4C32-89E4-2C9C816AEA53.jpeg

E27DF780-E3CB-4FBB-8046-0B8417ABAF1D.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 71GS said:

found it about impossible to get a good result in the car due to the raised edge around it. When I did the interior I used good old testers silver model paint and a brush when it was apart. Good luck though. 

Great job Brian! 

I wish my dash cluster would look as nice as like yours - like new!

Without taking the cluster out of the car, this looks to be a difficult and fiddly task.

Thanks Rocketraider for the suggestion of a chisel tip paint pen.  That sounds like the best bet to do the silvering with the dash in the car.  Off to Wally Mart I go...

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2022 at 2:48 PM, RivNut said:

I use something similar to this for doing fine line chrome on model cars. 1mm wide. If you have a steady hand, it’s a great tool.  Some have a very pointed tip for a really narrow line.

E58A4264-BB24-49C9-9075-E3990807DC21.jpeg.cb79bb1f909d65c37c922fb09fbcefa2.jpeg

Great idea Ed!  Now I'll have to find me one of these to touch up my dash!

• 4 months later...

Quick follow up - I got the Chrome Paint Markers that Ed (RivNut) recommended to touch up the areas around the dash urn signal and high beam indicators.

Here's what they looked like before the touch-up:

image.png.20ab2d13c71e7b38f033a1ec5beb9416.png

and here is after the touch up with the chrome pen:

image.png.54d4049f31cd1fdf0597edee7ce3c3a9.png

So, thanks Ed for the great tip! (pardon the pun)

Edited by 65VerdeGS (see edit history)
  • Like 5