Anyone ever fix one of these broken convertible top frames??

Ovalrace25

Been there, done that.

Before you venture into repair attempts, have you checked with Convertible Service in S. El Monte (formerly in San Gabriel), California ? 

They might have used pieces you're looking for (I've bought some from them before).

On 10/4/2022 at 7:17 PM, Ovalrace25 said:

1963 Imperial convertible top frame broke two of the castings. I'm thinking there are not going to be replacement parts, so I'll have to take it apart, clean up these pieces and see if I can weld them up. Any been there done that? 

You might try Moparts North in Beaverton, Ontario as well 

My nephew had his 1953 Packard convertible frame casting broken. It was cast aluminum and we found a guy to weld it perfectly. You have to look real close to see the break. Much cheaper than replacing the part, even if you could find it...

Frank

Depends on the grade of aluminum. Some alloys don't weld well. In any event it would be a job for a welder with alum experiance. Just as a WAG it might be possible to metal stitch them but that would be my plan B.........Bob

I would find a local foundry and use the old ones for patterns. In my youth I worked in a foundry and we used to cast a lot of our high wear replacement parts. Find someone with nonferrous induction furnaces and make some nice brass ones.

I would try to find another part first,since alot of force was needed to brak the part it might not be straight.. We havw a 55 Dodge convertible at work that has some parts that have been welded and can not get the top to fit right and I think ots from the once broken parts.