1917 Studebaker "Four" Parts needed

I presume this is a Model SF engine. If you can quote the engine number that will nail down the exact model. The SF ran for several years and there were often mid-year model changes.  I know someone who might have that part but I am probably on the wrong side of the Pacific for you. 

Btw the EJ is the early - 1920-21 - Light Six.

• Like 2

What is wrong with yours?

is there a casting number on it?

I have a similar plate with the waterpump housing on it without internals, but I think it maybe a later engine, possibly from a EW.

If your other contacts don't work out I will post some pictures.

Robert Kapteyn

Hi @rbk! Thank you for the pic and for tracking down your part! I have a 1916 and 1917 engine. Let me do some quick measurements and see if the front plate opening is the same size on both engine variations. It could be that the part size remained the same despite the new part ID. I'm definitely still interested in purchasing the part. 

Thanks again! 

16 hours ago, Stude1915_1917 said:

Hi @rbk! Thank you for the pic and for tracking down your part! I have a 1916 and 1917 engine. Let me do some quick measurements and see if the front plate opening is the same size on both engine variations. It could be that the part size remained the same despite the new part ID. I'm definitely still interested in purchasing the part. 

Thanks again! 

I would not rely on the part number corresponding with the casting number as I have a spare cover with the casting number 109056 which I suspect came from a 1917 Series 18 4 cylinder engine.  So if part number 16918 was used on Series 16,17 and 18 both 4 and 6 cylinder I don't think it would be unusual for different casting numbers.

I am sorry that I did not get back to doubt I have been sick.

Is there anyway you could pick it up in Joliet Ilinois or arrange to have it picked up.

I only want $50.00 for it but packing it is a problem for me due to my age.

email me at studebaker@mac.com

Bob

• 1 year later...

I have a question about this piece. When I was taking mine apart everything was siezed. I had to use a little heat to get the starter clutch off of the crank. On the passenger side o that casting there is a kind of square section. In the middle of that was a 3/8 threaded hole where something aluminum melted. Right in the middle of where the generator shaft gear is. What was that? What does it do. 

7 hours ago, Mike Hage said:

I have a question about this piece. When I was taking mine apart everything was siezed. I had to use a little heat to get the starter clutch off of the crank. On the passenger side o that casting there is a kind of square section. In the middle of that was a 3/8 threaded hole where something aluminum melted. Right in the middle of where the generator shaft gear is. What was that? What does it do. 

That aluminum piece might be part of a Lovejoy coupling that was used to connect the engine shaft to the generator shaft. if so, easy to replace with new parts.

Frank

No no I have that piece. This is something that used to be in a threaded hole right on the face. Pretty much dead center of the driven gear.20240123_003432.jpg.0b162e1d6ace7e9d8f237b022bb29042.jpgbetween the 2 bolts on the painted face plate. This is a bizzare setup. We have a reverse thead set bolt with a spring and a ball. Not sure how to keep that all in there? Then on the top of the gear there is... well was a little nub that maybe turns separately. I heated it up gently with the torch and was goung to wiggle it out with needlenose pliers when Bang!! It went off like a 22 shell! Its completely gone!!  ????? If someone could explain this to me how this all works? It would've made sense for the distributer, tighten up setscrew, turns a gear a little to adjust timing?

3 hours ago, Mike Hage said:

No no I have that piece. This is something that used to be in a threaded hole right on the face. Pretty much dead center of the driven gear.20240123_003432.jpg.0b162e1d6ace7e9d8f237b022bb29042.jpgbetween the 2 bolts on the painted face plate. This is a bizzare setup. We have a reverse thead set bolt with a spring and a ball. Not sure how to keep that all in there? Then on the top of the gear there is... well was a little nub that maybe turns separately. I heated it up gently with the torch and was goung to wiggle it out with needlenose pliers when Bang!! It went off like a 22 shell! Its completely gone!!  ????? If someone could explain this to me how this all works? It would've made sense for the distributer, tighten up setscrew, turns a gear a little to adjust timing?

This diagram may help you Mike.  I think the little "nub" you refer to is actually item 16990 on the diagram which is identified as a "Generator drive shaft plug" and is probably nothing more than a hardened piece of metal for the ball bearing to contact and take out any end float in the generator drive shaft.  

Generatordriveshaft.jpg.c73ba92e6271b0953d0fde6f5f479397.jpgGeneratordriveshaft.jpg.c73ba92e6271b0953d0fde6f5f479397.jpg

20240123_003110.jpg.f8baad53aa65ac5279665571a6905079.jpgThis is where something aluminum looking melted. What goes in here? A guide for that gear? Part of the starter mounting? I have no starter. No idea how it mounts. Anyone have a picture of that? What holds that ball and spring in place on the reverse thread set screw? Also wondering about the front crankshaft oil seal. How did that work? Sorry a million questions. Thank you for your patience. Mike 20231224_040951.jpg.e5c275390c41a10853c039f5c98a3658.jpg

47 minutes ago, Mike Hage said:

20240123_003110.jpg.f8baad53aa65ac5279665571a6905079.jpgThis is where something aluminum looking melted. What goes in here? A guide for that gear? Part of the starter mounting? I have no starter. No idea how it mounts. Anyone have a picture of that? What holds that ball and spring in place on the reverse thread set screw? Also wondering about the front crankshaft oil seal. How did that work? Sorry a million questions. Thank you for your patience. Mike 20231224_040951.jpg.e5c275390c41a10853c039f5c98a3658.jpg

The hole your blue arrow is pointing is as far as I know not necessary and hence it was plugged with with aluminium or something like that.  Plug it up again.