For Sale:1939 Oldsmobile Eight L-Series 80 4dr sedan - Project - $9,450 - Endwell, NY - Not Mine - Oh No! Flipper Got It. Price Increased to $13,000. - Perth Amboy, NJ: 7-12-2023.

For Sale:1939 Oldsmobile Eight L-Series 80 4dr sedan - Project - $9,450 - Endwell, NY -Oh No! Flipper Got It. Price Increased to $13,000. - Perth Amboy, NJ: 7-12-2023.

1939 Olds L-39 four door sedan - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

257 straight-8 flathead engine, 3-speed manual shift. This American classic "gangster" car was owned by my dad who recently passed away. Body was restored in the '80s, the interior is original. He used it in weddings and parades and occasional local "leaf peeping" jaunts.
The odometer reads 88,861, but I can't verify its accuracy. The interior is original with Replacement Stock seat covers that are in excellent condition. A few small paint chips, but otherwise in great condition. The car has been stored for 15+ years and is not currently running. Wouldn't need much to get it going again, including a good washing!  Only in-person offers will be considered.
Copy and paste in your email: b1125186b8343d08af8871127984ceff@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1939 Oldsmobile Eight L-Series 80 4dr sedan - Project.

'39 Olds L-39 NY a.jpg

'39 Olds L-39 NY b.jpg

'39 Olds L-39 NY c.jpg

'39 Olds L-39 NY d.jpg

'39 Olds L-39 NY e.jpg

'39 Olds L-39 NY f.jpg

'39 Olds L-39 NY g.jpg

'39 Olds L-39 NY h.jpg

'39 Olds L-39 NY i.jpg

'39 Olds L-39 NY j.jpg

'39 Olds L-39 NY k.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Oh No! Flipper Got It. Price Increased to $13,000. - Perth Amboy, NJ: 7-12-2023. (see edit history)
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Brakes, gas tank all fluids. That’s $4,000 right there.

Having to have the repair work done by a shop prevents many an old car from a "rebirth" to near original condition. The guy that can still crawl under and get things fixed in his own garage may not be too historically conscious but will end with a driver with much less of an investment and all the fun.

Cool seat covers. I wouldn't change a thing and would probably have it reliable by Halloween, carb and fuel pump included - maybe for around $1k, certainly less than $1.5k, provided hidden gremlins didn't pop up.  (I'd have to negotiate the price with the seller, though).                                                                            

3 hours ago, Crusty Trucker said:

Having to have the repair work done by a shop prevents many an old car from a "rebirth" to near original condition. The guy that can still crawl under and get things fixed in his own garage may not be too historically conscious but will end with a driver with much less of an investment and all the fun.

Cool seat covers. I wouldn't change a thing and would probably have it reliable by Halloween, carb and fuel pump included - maybe for around $1k, certainly less than $1.5k, provided hidden gremlins didn't pop up.  (I'd have to negotiate the price with the seller, though).                                                                            

I wish every poster who points out (again) that having a shop restore a common closed car to concours standard is not financially viable would read this first.  Amateur restorations have a place in the hobby.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

I wish every poster who points out (again) that having a shop restore a common closed car to concours standard is not financially viable would read this first.  Amateur restorations have a place in the hobby.

Personally, I enjoy the fixing as much or more than the actual driving. Seeing how things were done in the old days, and figuring work arounds for the brick walls you inevitably hit is the real fun of the old car hobby to me. I appreciate a 99 point Duesenberg the same was I appreciate a Monet or a Van Gogh, but you can't spend time with time the way you can a nice "oily rag" driver. 

• Like 1

I would put some value in the fact that it has been garage kept. I don't see any stains on the door panels and the dash looks good, with some pitting on the chrome. It would sure help the sale if the seller would have dusted this car off. That said there might be a little room for negotiation as the seller might not be attached to this car. 

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale:1939 Oldsmobile Eight L-Series 80 4dr sedan - Project - $9,450 - Endwell, NY - Not Mine - Oh No! Flipper Got It. Price Increased to $13,000. - Perth Amboy, NJ: 7-12-2023.

Oh No! Flipper Got It. Price Increased to $13,000. - Perth Amboy, NJ: 7-12-2023.

1939 Oldsmobile l39 series 80 suicide doors torpedo lights running... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

1939 Oldsmobile l39 series 80 suicide doors torpedo lights running boards humpback V8 smoke coming out of engine needs attention as is 13k or best reasonable offer on second order all original perfect condition.
Copy and paste in your email:  7bb59f1f21dc30d08aacca25cb8558bf@sale.craigslist.org

'39 Oldsmobile 80 NJ a.jpg

'39 Oldsmobile 80 NJ b.jpg

'39 Oldsmobile 80 NJ c.jpg

'39 Oldsmobile 80 NJ d.jpg

'39 Oldsmobile 80 NJ e.jpg

Flipper.jpg

On 7/12/2023 at 3:14 PM, 58L-Y8 said:

V8 smoke coming out of engine needs attention as is 13k

You have to be very careful not to get any of that V-8 smoke on you when inspecting the car. Straight 8 smoke not so bad. Wait, this is a straight 8. What the heck? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Fossil said:

You have to be very careful not to get any of that V-8 smoke on you when inspecting the car. Straight 8 smoke not so bad. Wait, this is a straight 8. What the heck? 

One supposes a flipper doesn't know how to tell the difference between a V8 and a straight eight...  I hope he likes that Olds, he will be owning it for a very long time at his price.

If he's calling it a V8 he might be a novice or a first timer to the flip game. If that's the case I have to ask.....is that smoke from the engine coming out the tailpipe or just steam from an overheated engine or radiator? Hey, I ran across this once, they were calling it smoke not steam. Or maybe it's just running rich. Or maybe I'm just a wishful thinker. 

• Like 2