For Sale: 1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser - $16,500 (Carlisle, PA)

Not Mine

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/d/carlisle-1957-mercury-turnpike-cruiser/7538715314.html

This car is a solid, desert southwest classic, 4-door pillarless hardtop. Has the 368 engine with 4 bbl. Carter carburetor which was professionally rebuilt. The power brake/master cylinder was also professionally rebuilt, and new brake wheel cylinders and hoses replaced the original components. The vacuum windshield wiper/washer motor was replaced with an electric unit. The clock was professionally rebuilt with a quartz time piece. The AM radio was also cleaned and repaired and is fully functional. The cooling system was flushed and filled with new antifreeze. The engine received new oil as well as a complete tuneup, and the automatic transmission was serviced. The gasoline tank was cleaned inside and coated with Red Coat and a new sending unit was installed.

The headliner needs to be replaced, as does the vinyl/padding covering on the dashboard. The 5 power windows work, but both rear side windows should have the motors rebuilt, since they operate quite slowly. Yes, 5 power windows; the rear window descends into the trunk for full flow-through ventilation! The original ignition and door keys are included along with a replacement set. The car wears a Pennsylvania antique vehicle license plate and a clear, exempt title. The mileage is thought to be approximately 121,186.

All parts that were replaced have been saved and go with the car. Also, all extra spare parts, most of which are in boxes go with the car and all boxes are labeled with their contents, as well as complete inventory sheet. The original shop service manual and all receipts for the major repairs/rebuilding are included.

This vehicle is not a show car, but is a driver.

For more information, or to see the car, please CALL (no text messages, since I don’t have that capability!) me at (717) 258-86 seven seven, 10:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. any day. If no answer, please leave a message with your phone number and I will return your phone call. Thank you for your interest.

ae0200k0k_41P8XgjhHVXz_0x20ls_1200x900.jpg

ae0300D0D_gFTktIMLDIJz_0x20lI_1200x900.jpg

ae0400F0F_7yYMLVuU38Tz_0x20lE_1200x900 (1).jpg

ae0500e0e_ejBVlQvWX97z_0x00lN_1200x900.jpg

ae0600g0g_55LTKfN6BwMz_0x20lG_1200x900.jpg

ae0101717_aQ1FfUQSipz_0x20lB_1200x900.jpg

You could put a couple of Adirondack chairs on back deck. How difficult would it be to remove the continental kit and put a normal bumper in place? Finding the bumper might be a challenge. Beautiful car, other than the kit. If that extension on the kit could be removed and still use the existing bumper this could be a good deal IMO.

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)

These cars are so far over the top I've always liked them although I would not own one. That price seems pretty reasonable if there are no hidden problems.

I'm no expert but I think the connie kit was factory and very common on these cars. One of the saddest things I've ever seen was a 57 TPC convertible Indy 500 pace replica with the connie kit sitting next to the firehouse in the Illinois town I grew up in. It looked pretty decent from a distance and I thought about checking it out the day after I first saw it. When I came back it was just a torn apart pile of metal, they had used it to practice with the jaws of life and had also set it on fire.

1 hour ago, classiclines said:

All accessories can be removed...   🙃

At a huge cost. To the buyer. If I wanted the car I would make an offer to the seller.   $18,000. The seller says “what, I only want $16,500”.  I say - I want YOU to remove that abomination off the rear and make the car normal.