Bus of the future that never became a reality

30DodgePanel

What's interesting is they built at least two of those behemoths.  Wonder if they ever saw actual service?  I think "Duplicate Speed of Railroads" is a bit optimistic.  I've read 30s trains were capable of exceeding 100 mph, although they usually averaged about 80.  Even if one of those buses could match that speed, I doubt it would be safe given the quality of even the cross-country roads of the time.

1 hour ago, CHuDWah said:

What's interesting is they built at least two of those behemoths.  Wonder if they ever saw actual service?  I think "Duplicate Speed of Railroads" is a bit optimistic.  I've read 30s trains were capable of exceeding 100 mph, although they usually averaged about 80.  Even if one of those buses could match that speed, I doubt it would be safe given the quality of even the cross-country roads of the time.

They were advertising stunts, built as show rooms, never meant to move. I believe one was built in the street in front of an auto show and torn down when the show ended a week later. The other probably as short lived.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Someone was dreaming very, very big.

Has anyone ever came across a similar advertising concept for this type of bus?

CONCEPT BUSES 3

Somewhere I have the full brochure for that - I particularly like the airport on the roof.  It did sort of forecast the future of cruise ships though.  If I can find it again I'll post the whole thing.

Don 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well my memory of what I had was more than faulty!  What I have is a reprint of it in a 1972 issue of Antique Cars and Parts Trader.  I've attached what I have and I'll add a couple of other pages just for interest sake of the way things used to be for parts locating which is another topic all of its own.  Now back to the bus, considering that it dates to 1930 I'm guessing that it was more of an investment scam than anything else.

20220912_141952 (2).jpg

20220912_142002 (2).jpg

20220912_142008 (2).jpg

20220912_142019 (2).jpg

20220912_142036 (2).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

It should be obvious that the artist's conception in the first article was science fiction. There never were roads for it and never could be.

It is obviously science fiction, but it would still be neat to see other similar advertisements if they existed. I had not seen the coupe or the tractor they built in Bobs post above until just now. That tells me their may have been more built or advertised.

I just think it would be interesting to find original literature that shows and explains how they were made (from wood I presume) and more of the actual history instead of hearsay since none of us were there to witness it. I guess I'm surprised there isn't more information on the web for them than what little we've found. I seriously doubt the OP bus was ever built, but it has me curious what attempts may have been made (and what other artist renditions may exist) now that I've seen the other ones that were built for stunts.

55 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

It is obviously science fiction, but it would still be neat to see other similar advertisements if they existed. I had not seen the coupe or the tractor they built in Bobs post above until just now. That tells me their may have been more built or advertised.

I just think it would be interesting to find original literature that shows and explains how they were made (from wood I presume) and more of the actual history instead of hearsay since none of us were there to witness it. I guess I'm surprised there isn't more information on the web for them than what little we've found. I seriously doubt the OP bus was ever built, but it has me curious what attempts may have been made (and what other artist renditions may exist) now that I've seen the other ones that were built for stunts.

That 'coupe' is the giant 1931 Studebaker President Four Seasons Roadster here: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/90616-giant-1931-studebaker-convertible-reduced-to-ashes

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/35554-from-the-archives-67-one-hot-studebaker

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/97036-big-studebaker-photo-you-will-like

A rock video in it:  https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/a1923591/wild-flowers-most-bizarre-studebaker-promo-youll-watch-today/

Craig

• Thanks 1