Help in value of a buick sign/award

After finally getting thru the inventory of Ed Mertz items and collectibles. I have been asked by his wife to value and sell a few of the items.  The first one I'm trying to figure out is this Award that was giving to Ed.  It seems to be a blow moulded sign made out of some type of plastic. I am guessing some of you sign collectors can tell me.  Or is it better to leave it as is.

IMG_2716.jpg.f089e4f66b01c50d6d1bc8d0fb883531.jpgIMG_2718.jpg.91995c79531780b0ad0d3787fbde2bb4.jpgIMG_2717.jpg.b15f569f351470c7fc35860996946a84.jpg

Edited by Kendallqn
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2022 at 8:15 AM, roysboystoys said:

My guess is minimal value. Late reproduction plastic sign. Had value to the man who earned the reward.

Nice wall hanger at the right price for a Buick guy.

Have to disagree, while the sign itself has no real value, to a Buick collector its provenance might be interest.  This was presented by the BCA to the GM at Buick who would have also had a VP title.  One of a kind, has some historic significance tp a serious collector of Buick memorabilia.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Have to disagree, while the sign itself has no real value, to a Buick collector its provenance might be interest.  This was presented by the BCA to the GM at Buick who would have also had a VP title.  One of a kind, has some historic significance tp a serious collector of Buick memorabilia.

I agree with Steve.  The value of an item for its history or connection to a particular individual sometimes off-sets the value of just the object itself. 

Terry

Thanks for all the coments.  I have a ton of stuff we have sorted out to go to the sloan museum.  His wife and I really didnt think this was museum worthy next to a lot of those items. But I will talk to her again and see what she thinks.  They sent us a donation form quite a while ago and It has taken a year to get past his passing and all the other stuff sorted out and gone through.  Each item has to be listed in detail for them to consider.  Bronzed Patents, Documents, His original Chevrolt Lab Coat from his first day of work for GM  and tons of Photos From dealer meetings and new car launches where what we thought would be more Museum Worthy.  The rest we thought by listing and selling would get into the hands of collectors that would enjoy them and preserve them in thier collections

• Like 2

In an aside There was a gentleman here that helped me get into contact with the people at the sloan last year.  I promised him something for all the help and then lost the information. If he reads this and can tell me what it was i said id send i would love to here from him so i can follow through.

22 hours ago, Kendallqn said:

In an aside There was a gentleman here that helped me get into contact with the people at the sloan last year.  I promised him something for all the help and then lost the information. If he reads this and can tell me what it was i said id send i would love to here from him so i can follow through.

If you need some help with contacts at the Sloan Museum, pm me and I will give you all of the information you need.

As for the Sloan, if you have not been there recently they have just completed a $30 million dollar remodel. It is spectacular.  You might want to reconsider offering some of the items to the Sloan.

We have a bunch of Items that are going to go to the Sloan.  They sent us the forms last year but until recently the items were in storage waiting to be sorted and decided on which should go there. I cant PM anyone yet as it says i dont have enough activity.

@Kendallqn I've seen a couple of these on eBay in the past both unframed and with no provenance.  This one is very nice and imo with its provenance fairly priced. The $78 shipping made me think twice about making an offer though.  It may help to add the dimensions to the eBay ad. Good luck.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185547393187?hash=item2b337c88a3:g:ikQAAOSwt-JjArEW&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoLmHVoEOCddUVrSKyQl%2FmP9nnRsxhBFvzI3vEbChW%2BgHBeZSfxPln8aydo1ePRKUSUeSXS7%2BHyz553fpAwb4gCtrt0wkV8B08zJ15P2k7VvwUVIIhsHL4m31r2D8GeYf0XLciWevGMZTuTCGxBAzAcWmPPfNOjEqjlSUL7alLFLyiPywuAajWhhcP7f8lCk1Nh5cWehask1XKdCek4z95qc%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4CFxtTaYA&autorefresh=true

AND....what's missing from the eBay ad language? The dimensions of the piece! Important information for a possible buyer. Perhaps the seller can update the listing. Ditto your comment on the shipping cost, Lamar, unless this thing is REALLY big (which I doubt).

Glad to see this sign and other pieces from Ed Mertz's estate going on eBay. There's really no broader platform to gain exposure and to determine the "worth"....assuming the various auctions draw a bid. John

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)
  • Like 1