Car frame

Roger nelms

What's it worth ? Not very much unfortunately. Pretty low demand for lower end cars like a Star. Even a complete , unrestored Star wouldn't be of all that much value. A frame and a few parts , $50.00 - $75.00 on a good day.

48 minutes ago, Roger nelms said:

Thanks

Would make a good frame for a Hot Rod or Early Gow Job.

I've had several odd ball's like this over the years.

Strip all parts off the frame & sell as STAR parts to a STAR guy .. He may even want the frame.

I've posted frames like this on Hot Rod sites and sold for $200-$400 depending on condition 

That is a nice flat frame with front and rear axles so yes, it would have value to early speedster guys and hot rod guys. Somebody was looking for a frame like this recently on this forum not 6 months ago. Moreover, it looks like the muffler is still on the frame. It has value by itself. Then, you have the hubcaps, which are collectable.

I have a 27 T touring front 1/2 { an old timey , Gow Job favorite. } windshield, decent rad and shell. Sitting on a so- so 1925 or so frame { good front and rear cross members} for sale right now. Asking $450.00 { Canadian } , pocket change in USD. Been for sale locally  for 3 weeks , { no one in their right mind would ship this }, and a total of 0 interest. Last year it would have been gone at once. This year with inflation what it is , everyone is holding their wallets very tightly. In this part of the world at least.

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

Star, hub cap value these days ? Probably all of $10.00 - $20.00.  I may be way off, but I don't think so. The vast majority of these 1920's ,small car hubcaps rarely seem to go for very much.

Agree.  That's pretty rough.  It's something that 99.9% of collectors will already have so on the table at Hershey, a couple of bucks to a youngster who wants to start a collection.

Terry

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

Agree.  That's pretty rough.  It's something that 99.9% of collectors will already have so on the table at Hershey, a couple of bucks to a youngster who wants to start a collection.

Terry

I thought EVERYONE had at least one STAR hub cap....here's mine....

IMG_2607 (2).JPG

That torsion- stiffening tube should be specific identification.  The name Flint comes to mind, though I have never seen one.   It may have been above mid-level Durant range.

Chatter about frames like this being ideal to make "speedsters" worries me, because you could easily destroy the opportunity for something unique to be restored correctly as it originally existed.   The worst example in recent years resulted in the heroic effort of an Englishman altering the chassis frame of a chain-drive car which had been stripped where it had lain upside down in a deep gully when it ran off the road many years before.  John Medley found report of the accident in a local newspaper, and identified the make of car.  The name of the family who owned the property was still in the telephone directory. The man who John spoke to re-directed him to telephone his Mother.  Yes, she had walked to the crash site in the morning following the accident, and her mother had taken photos of the car lying upside down.  Would John like to have the photos her mother took???!!!   Stuart Middlehurst brought home the chassis frame, and a single cylinder barrel with a gudgeon pin score up the bore.  So the man in Scandinavia has a full set of cylinder barrels for the brilliant first of Ferdinand Porsche's sports racing designs for Austro Daimler; but no chassis to build it on.      To build a fast and effective racer it is best to study the books which show what was achieved with T Fords in the 1920s.  One Fronty Ford finished fifth behind four Millers at Indianapolis.    Ivan Saxton

Edited by Ivan Saxton
I was dog-tired, and Coolie-Kelpie cattle dog wanted to sleep (see edit history)