'49 Hudson Commodore $32K Very Nice!

I'll let the resident Hudson Scholars weigh in on the price, but it's a very snappy hoopie! 

I have edited the ad copy and pics because we don't need the complete history of Hudson here....

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/campbell-handsome-1949-hudson-commodore/7508398994.html

This original handsome 1949 Hudson Commodore 4door has a good straight body, nice start and smooth driving , The Hudson Commodore is the only classic car you step down into.

Wearing proper period upholstery with button tufted seat covers, a big ivory-colored steering wheel.
Recent services performed by the seller include a clutch and carburetor rebuild, refurbishment of the fuel tank and radiator, fuel lines, new master cylinder.
The three-speed transmission has an overdrive. All lights, gauges, the original push button, other features of the car are operational; upgraded with an electric fuel pump.
The three-speed transmission has an overdrive. All lights, gauges, the original push button AM radio, other features of the car are operational; upgraded with an electric fuel pump.
Brake master cylinder and hose replaced. Renewed gas tank and recored radiator install, starter rebuild, electric pump.

00I0I_1Bj3Wwd86inz_0CI0jQ_600x450.jpg01313_axLXQm4lTzgz_0CI0qm_600x450.jpg00b0b_kFz8biq5jMlz_0vG0t2_600x450.jpg00404_9oIqAhpRkzYz_0oY0t2_600x450.jpg00l0l_6byIWqA025sz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg00Q0Q_9HciEavwOElz_0oC0t2_600x450.jpg00Z0Z_jPR96GSVIy5z_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg00R0R_6aHQ22TJQYoz_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg00D0D_cA7VQ90a6vez_0CI0kB_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Seems to me , even though offered.  Dark bottoms and light tops,  work much better than light bottoms and dark tops,  regarding paint combos in general.  That light bottom looks very distracting to the eye. 

I think you are right for pre-war, but thinking of 50's Corvettes, it changed later. 

Someone put a lot of time and effort into this car. I don't know if it's worth the $32K asking price but it's definitely an eye-catcher. It might appeal to some people but it's not a totally authentic restoration. The air cleaner isn't correct and the wheelcovers are newer items. It doesn't have a heater either, that would be visible as those were mounted on the transmission hump under the dash. These are relatively minor problems that could be fixed. This is a subjective statement but I always thought the early stepdown Hudsons (1948-1950) looked much better in all one color. After 1951 or so there was some more stainless trim on the cars that divided the tops from the rest of the car and made the top-bottom color contrast more appealing. Again, to each his own with the two-toning but I think the lighter green bottom on the car looks terrible and has no place on a conservatively styled car like this 1949 Hudson Commodore. 

There were numerous nice color options from the factory. I don't know why someone would improvise when they had an otherwise high-end car to begin with. While I love greens in general, I really dislike mint green. I think that it's a shame, but I'd have to suggest trying to match the darker green and paint it all one color. Also, north of thirty grand requires that the roof fold down!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Seems to me , even though offered.  Dark bottoms and light tops,  work much better than light bottoms and dark tops,  regarding paint combos in general.  That light bottom looks very distracting to the eye. 

Tan lines have never bothered me.🤔

• Haha 1

I've been to Hundreds of Hudson meets, mostly all Stepdown models show up.

I've never seen that color combo.

I think it was a sad choice for an otherwise nice car.

although it is in Convertible territory on the price.

Hudson sedans do seem to bring more money than other brands.

The last one I sold , 12 years ago , I got one third that price.

Times do change.

On 7/14/2022 at 9:30 AM, auburnseeker said:

Until mid 1950, the only two-tones that Hudson offered were ALL  dark over light (whatever color).  This was to further visually lower the appearance of the low stepdown car.    Personally I much prefer to see '48-50 Hudsons done this way!