Delahaye

1935Packard

I've mentioned that I like the Pennock-bodied cars, and I found this very interesting resource online: Someone constructed histories of the various known Pennock-bodied Delahayes.  Not all of them, but a lot of them, including how they have changed over time.  Info at the link, and be sure to tell Google to translate it from the original Dutch into English. :)

https://www.vincentvandervinne.nl/autos-van-delahaye-met-een-carrosserie-van-pennock/

I have always been enamored with these autos, the styling is unmatched. Have not seen very many in person, maybe less than 3? Because of that I have figured they were mostly a one off kind of car made in very limited numbers. But reading through this thread it seems they were made in greater numbers than I ever imagined. What was the total production of these cars?

• 3 weeks later...

TAKerry, 

There were 2,592 Delahayes produced from 1935-1952, including 1,115 built post-WWII, according to what I have read 

There were also Delahayes built before 1935, but they're very different from the later cars.  it wasn't until 1935 that Delahaye made the stylish cars that you see at concours and the like.  According to Richard Adatto's book, Delahaye: Styling and Design, Delahaye turned to high end cars in 1935 on the thinking that the Depression had hurt all but the top end of the car market.  To stay in business, you needed to sell to the rich who weren't affected by the Depression.  So starting in 1935, the cars were all very expensive, all bodied by coachbuilders, etc.

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 1935Packard said:

TAKerry, 

There were 2,592 Delahayes produced from 1935-1952, including 1,115 built post-WWII, according to what I have read 

There were also Delahayes built before 1935, but they're very different from the later cars.  it wasn't until 1935 that Delahaye made the stylish cars that you see at concours and the like.  According to Richard Adatto's book, Delahaye: Styling and Design, Delahaye turned to high end cars in 1935 on the thinking that the Depression had hurt all but the top end of the car market.  To stay in business, you needed to sell to the rich who weren't affected by the Depression.  So starting in 1935, the cars were all very expensive, all bodied by coachbuilders, etc.

I think the stylish era started when they bought competitor Delage.

On 8/25/2023 at 2:35 AM, 1935Packard said:

I've mentioned that I like the Pennock-bodied cars, and I found this very interesting resource online: Someone constructed histories of the various known Pennock-bodied Delahayes.  Not all of them, but a lot of them, including how they have changed over time.  Info at the link, and be sure to tell Google to translate it from the original Dutch into English. :)

https://www.vincentvandervinne.nl/autos-van-delahaye-met-een-carrosserie-van-pennock/

It are expensive cars.

I did body work on these cars.

IMG_2293.JPG

• 3 months later...

Nice Pennock car now offered for sale at BAT: 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1946-delahaye-135m-cabriolet-by-pennock/

Previous listing at Bonhams in 2015:

https://cars.bonhams.com/auction/22528/lot/389/delahaye-135m-cabriolet-1946/

Video posted by the dealer offering it for sale: 

16 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

I thought of you when that came through my feed last night.   Paint the wheels fender color and throw the whitewalls in a rubber pile and I'll say "not bad!".

18 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

OK...so I gotta ask. Are you bidding? Or is that camp up in the mountains the Boss wants first on the agenda? 😏

• Haha 1

No, 

7 hours ago, edinmass said:

OK...so I gotta ask. Are you bidding? Or is that camp up in the mountains the Boss wants first on the agenda? 😏

No, not bidding.    I really like the Pennock Delahayes, but I am still in the early stage of learning about these cars.   I need to talk to more Delahaye owners, drive one, get more of a feel for what is out there, etc. before deciding if I'm serious about owning one.

Very interested to see what this car will go for, though.

12 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

Very interested to see what this car will go for, though.

I know exactly how much it will cost. HALF………..half the house, half the retirement account, half your paycheck……..if you buy it! 🤪

Sorry, sometimes I can’t help myself. 

I think over the years I have driven three of them. Although it was just in a parking lot situation. And the ones I played with were not the performance series cars. Fit and finish were nice. The pre selector gearbox was easy to use but I have never seen the advantage or appeal to them. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

I know exactly how much it will cost. HALF………..half the house, half the retirement account, half your paycheck……..if you buy it! 🤪

Sorry, sometimes I can’t help myself. 

I think over the years I have driven three of them. Although it was just in a parking lot situation. And the ones I played with were not the performance series cars. Fit and finish were nice. The pre selector gearbox was easy to use but I have never seen the advantage or appeal to them. 

The European version still has floor shift for reverse and neutral.   At least the electric hand and the Cord were fully pre-selector.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Neat topic - as I mentioned in the summer of last year here under this topic, I have at least a half dozen or more b & w period photographs of Delahayes taken in Europe when new by professional photographers of that era . More to be found in the annual show number issue magazine of L'Illustration, issues of Omnia, and La Carrossiere magazine all pre war. But we are in the section of CCCA and I do not participate in that club nor contribute to it any longer after decades of membership and contributions. I was asked to leave because I was not healthy enough to attend events in person some years ago. So indeed did.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 7:47 AM, alsancle said:

I thought of you when that came through my feed last night.   Paint the wheels fender color and throw the whitewalls in a rubber pile and I'll say "not bad!".

Or... Paint the fenders body color, and throw the white sidewalls away. Even better. High contrast colors are to clown-like, in my opinion.

• Like 2

Agreed that the color scheme doesn't work so well as-is.  It's not original, and I wonder what they were thinking.  Maybe they were drawing inspiration from this Figoni-bodied car, #48667?  Either way, I don't think it worked.

Screenshot2023-12-13at6_32_50PM.png.e23f7c040608469c0bc83ea1a2efbc35.png

On 12/12/2023 at 3:07 PM, alsancle said:

I think you need to sit in one.  They are stylish but not big.   We should be able to find one that you could drive first.    It has the preselector which is not rocket science but is different.

I've talked to the owner of a '46 coupe who invited me to drive his, which was very generous, although he's on the other side of the country.  Someday I'll get there.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 9:36 PM, 1935Packard said:

Agreed that the color scheme doesn't work so well as-is.  It's not original, and I wonder what they were thinking.  Maybe they were drawing inspiration from this Figoni-bodied car, #48667?  Either way, I don't think it worked.

Screenshot2023-12-13at6_32_50PM.png.e23f7c040608469c0bc83ea1a2efbc35.png

This would inspire me to paint it differently.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Looking closely at the Delahaye on BAT, it looks not nearly as nice as #47533, the '37 Chapron-bodied car I posted pictures of from the Gooding auction at Pebble at the bottom of Page 1 of the Delahaye forum subject here.  47533 was at Pebble (the show, not the auction) a decade or so ago, and although its been driven since, it was a nice restoration, as far as I can tell.  The one on BAT has worn and faded gauges, and the engine compartment is kinda messy: Some wiring is all over the place, and it has a modern alternator installed and the stone guard missing.   47533 went for $207k, so I would guess market for this BAT car is a decent mark below that.  We'll see. 

Comparison of the engine compartments, BAT car first:

Screenshot2023-12-16at12_55_50AM.png.faa4f20176d4b7fb2ae1c694cb250cde.png

47533 Chapron-bodied car: 

Screenshot2023-12-16at12_57_58AM.png.b7ce01ab56499ff04d2dfca77a4ae259.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 8E45E said:

That is an EXPENSIVE book!!!

But I guess if you own a Delahaye or a Delage, you need a copy!!!     Figoni on Delahaye | Indigo

Craig

That link is to a different Adatto book on Delahayes.  I have the one on Delahayes generally, not just Figoni cars

https://www.amazon.com/Delahaye-Styling-Design-Richard-Adatto/dp/1854432214

Although it's expensive, too (currently $168 for a used copy).

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 4:47 AM, alsancle said:

The Pennock Delahaye on BAT bid up to $121K, or $127k with the 5% BAT buyer's premium. 

An interesting question is whether this is market, or just one of those cars that doesn't do well on BAT. Using the Chapron car that sold for $207K as a reference, you might expect this car to go for, guessng here, maybe $50k less, like $160k or so?  But I don't know enough about the Delahaye market to say.  In particular, it seems to me that it's a brand that is unusually focused on show cars; people bring them to concours, and relatively few drive them.  So a Delahaye that needs a lot of work to be shown at a concours may be tough on the market.  But I don't know, this is just my amateurish speculation.  

On 12/13/2023 at 4:50 PM, Walt G said:

Neat topic - as I mentioned in the summer of last year here under this topic, I have at least a half dozen or more b & w period photographs of Delahayes taken in Europe when new by professional photographers of that era . More to be found in the annual show number issue magazine of L'Illustration, issues of Omnia, and La Carrossiere magazine all pre war. But we are in the section of CCCA and I do not participate in that club nor contribute to it any longer after decades of membership and contributions. I was asked to leave because I was not healthy enough to attend events in person some years ago. So indeed did.

I have some magazine of L'illustration too from bigining the 1900 years.

twenty years ago we had  Delage and Delahaye in our body shop for restoration.

6 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

The Pennock Delahaye on BAT bid up to $121K, or $127k with the 5% BAT buyer's premium. 

An interesting question is whether this is market, or just one of those cars that doesn't do well on BAT. Using the Chapron car that sold for $207K as a reference, you might expect this car to go for, guessng here, maybe $50k less, like $160k or so?  But I don't know enough about the Delahaye market to say.  In particular, it seems to me that it's a brand that is unusually focused on show cars; people bring them to concours, and relatively few drive them.  So a Delahaye that needs a lot of work to be shown at a concours may be tough on the market.  But I don't know, this is just my amateurish speculation.  

Not ugly but not stunning open body.     Number one factor with these cars is the coachwork (as with all prewar Classics) and then condition and provenance.   Also, one sale doesn't make the market, especially an online one.   I would expect this car to do better in a private dealer sales situation or a boutique auction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, alsancle said:

Not ugly but not stunning open body.     Number one factor with these cars is the coachwork (as with all prewar Classics) and then condition and provenance.   Also, one sale doesn't make the market, especially an online one.   I would expect this car to do better in a private dealer sales situation or a boutique auction.

For those interested, I looked around and here are some other Delahaye cabriolets by Pennock that were sold at auction recently (incidentally, the car looks so much better in a single color-- I especially like the very dark second one):  

1.  https://cars.bonhams.com/auction/26811/lot/422/1948-delahaye-type-135m-three-position-drophead-coupe-chassis-no-800843/

800843,   sold in the UK in 2021 at Bonhams for $211,000 in the 2021 dollar to pound conversion rate.

Screenshot2023-12-24at10_07_18PM.png.a69b64dc3900d7dd28fee4104b7652d7.png

2.  800532, sold in 2022 in France for about $230,000 using then-current U.S. to euro conversion rate (although that was in a lot of flux in 2022).

https://www.aguttes.com/en/lot/120481/17497976-1946-delahaye-cabriolet-135-ms

Screenshot2023-12-24at10_11_23PM.png.dd45c1a02ea1b0f0a913d73d58bf91ba.png

• Like 2

https://listings.worldwideauctioneers.com/product/1949-delahaye-135m-cabriolet/

Coachwork by Chapron

1949 Delahaye 135M Cabriolet

Well-documented and authenticated by President of Club Delahaye, Jean-Paul Tissot

Recipient of an older high-quality nut and bolt restoration by Chapron

Desirable numbers-matching 110-HP triple-carbureted engine and Cotal gearbox

One of just a handful of examples bodied in Chapron's distinctive long-nose style

1.jpg.0ae12becbe33c8e37691a353f6fe9fe9.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2023 at 7:40 AM, alsancle said:

https://listings.worldwideauctioneers.com/product/1949-delahaye-135m-cabriolet/

Coachwork by Chapron

1949 Delahaye 135M Cabriolet

Well-documented and authenticated by President of Club Delahaye, Jean-Paul Tissot

Recipient of an older high-quality nut and bolt restoration by Chapron

Desirable numbers-matching 110-HP triple-carbureted engine and Cotal gearbox

One of just a handful of examples bodied in Chapron's distinctive long-nose style

1.jpg.0ae12becbe33c8e37691a353f6fe9fe9.jpg

Sold for $123K at RM last year, I assume because the front end is not attractive.   I wonder if the new buyer bought it with the plan to flip it.   It's nice with the exception of that front, but the front of car is a pretty big deal, especially on a Delahaye. 

• Like 1