1934 chevy sedan

Brycec

Hello new to the forum. I have a 1934 chevy 2 door master town sedan. That I am building. I am looking for a replacement radiator. I've seen plenty of them out there, aluminum and such, but none of them have the center fill cap. They all use under hood fill caps. I am looking to use my original hood emblem/ cap. Any ideas?

Direct replacements for old cars like this generally don't exist. If there are exceptions they are probably Fords. The radiators you are seeing with the cap under moved the hood are probably for street rod use with a pressurized cooling system. A pressurized cooling system requires a modern radiator neck so that the pressure cap can control what is going out (or coming in) the overflow tube. The original cap is just a cap and the original overflow is up high and always open.

Most of us wind up getting a recore if we can't salvage the original core. Good luck on your search.

• Like 1

You probably are on the wrong site to ask for help on this since you have a repowered car. The people reading this restore/rebuild cars and trucks to original specification. Any advice I am guessing would have to come from someone knowledgeable about the engine you have and what you have to work with - ie the vertical radiator shell to use the original sheet metal to keep the look of the original car. All experimental and no set rules to easily follow. Go to a street rod site and ask there . Difficult to solve a problem for something that is a new creation.

• Like 1

I don't believe it is a good idea to use a functional original neck. That Alfa was pressurized originally as was everything else from the era. The pressure raises the boil temperature significantly. A pressure cap and matching modern neck is going to be necessary to make that happen. If there is also an original neck, that will be a second neck. Removing it while under pressure is likely to get you burned. If you were going to do it, a lever release on the modern cap would allow you to release pressure first. Sooner or later though, somebody would just take the cap off on a hot day and probably get burned. Any good tig welder could add a neck to a welded type aluminum radiator. Any old fashioned radiator shop (they are getting really hard to find) could solder a neck on a brass radiator. I think it is a terrible idea, and I doubt anyone would do it because of the liability. A better approach would be to weld or solder an non-functional original type neck to the radiator to hold the original cap.

• Like 4

On 7/5/2022 at 2:49 AM, Rusty_OToole said:

I've seen a Chevy in the alfalfa but not an alfa in a Chevy.

Enjoyed the alfalfa/Alfa pun - cute !

• Like 1