Speaking of rare Studebakers

Ed Luddy

Bullet nose has no point. Of course the middle is missing, but the surround is different from the pointy bullets than the flat ones of 1951.

Not rare! Just the top of a 4 door sedan is cut off. "Parade Car".😆 Drive only in sunny weather and watch out for sharp edges.😉

Oh, you mean RARE as the rockers and fenders around the vents are not rusted out! Looks real good, would make a good "parade car" for years to come if not left out in the weather. 

I have seen TWO Vega "parade cars" in my life. They really look good, great lines.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

With a few body mods it could look like a Tucker convertible.

Yes, you have seen the movie "Tucker" and know the car that was rolled was a Studebaker with fiberglass Tucker parts grafted on.

Dave Cammack had lots of photos of the movie set showing the fiberglass parts (fenders, etc) on the assembly line and the mock up of the Studebaker as the car to roll. I assume these went to the "Museum" along with the blueprints of the Tucker Corporation. You could go upstairs in his garage and see trains (not Tucker related) and piles of blueprints of the  Tucker parts. I went through them twice looking at how REAL drawings were done before the crap Solid Works spits out. I know, the solid works files can be input directly into CNC equipment to make stuff, but I like looking at a drawing and being able to tell what was in the designer's mind. That is also where I pointed out the Tucker was a positive ground car, and that one of Dave's was hooked up negative ground and the generator reflashed so everything worked.... not that they ever drove farther than the parking lot to be washed or loaded on transport. He was too scared to drive them due to how expensive they were. I guess he didn't know Ed!😆

• Like 2

That was a Studebaker dolled up as a Tucker that was rolled in the movie. The rest were real Tuckers, and over half had been restored by Stan Gilliland of Wellington, Kansas. Francis Ford Coppola could confirm it because Stan restored a Tucker for Mr. Coppola. If you watch the credits at the end of the movie, Stan is thanked.

Edited by Studemax (see edit history)
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Yes, you have seen the movie "Tucker" and know the cars in it were Studebakers, including the one they rolled. 

I really did not read what I wrote! Yes, the complete cars were TUCKERS!  I also knew several from Virginia that were in the movie. I have revised  what I wrote! I blame this on typing too late at night....😆

That reminded me of a dude I knew in high school.He had a beat up '56 Ford  and decided to make a "summer sedan" out of it. He and some friends drove to the city dump,cut the top off,and shoved it into the dump.He got home and his old man said "what did you do that for?WTH are you going to do when it rains?" He said "damn,I didn't think about that."

• Haha 1