Great Race; I want to watch the cars go by like I did 35 years ago, in my 1932 car.

F&J

I'm asking for help to find out what exact roads are planned.  Some of us never get a chance to see so many vintage cars out on the roads, actually DRIVING.

Back in the late 1980's I somehow found out that when the Great Race ended in Boston, it would be going right through my former town of Willington, Ct via Route 84.  It really was a "big deal" for me to be able to park my 1932 Plymouth conv in the perfect spot on a side road next to I-84 in a deserted spot where every Great Race car would also see "my antique car". 

Even though it was their last day of a very tiring Race trip, most every car that went by for hours were waving and tooting their horns like it was the excitement of their first day. My everyday car is now a 1932 Ford, and I hope I can do this meet-up "one last time".

I just looked all over the internet, but all I can find for Routes is a very vague map on the Great Race website.  It looks like when they leave Warwick RI, they will cross Eastern Connecticut by staying in the northern part of Eastern CT.  If that is true, and me knowing those possible main roads very well, I think they will be coming past very close to where I live now.

Is the exact route map a secret except for "each new day", so that participants can't get a planning edge?...  but if that is true, how was I able to find out the exact Connecticut route back in the 1980s when there was no internet?

@Graham Man, that is the vague map I mentioned.  It seems that the exact roads are given out each morning to the drivers.   I just don't know how I once found out back on the 1980s. I never had insider info from a participant.

Ok, I get the fact that it must be something to do with preventing preplanning or cheating by drivers, but what about promoting their event, and promoting vintage cars to the fullest by letting people to enjoy seeing the cars go by, if it is near their locations?  I guess it's all about money and another event just for the elites?   Sure, you are told where the stops are each night, but what about the rest of the day?  

I have no interest in driving in heavy traffic to/ or near the airfield museum at Bradley International Airport (across the state), just to see "parked cars". 

3 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

The exact routes are not divulged to the participants until 1hr before the start of each day of the event.

I already typed this post before you replied, so yes, I did figure that out. 

7 minutes ago, F&J said:

@Graham Man, that is the vague map I mentioned.  It seems that the exact roads are given out each morning to the drivers.   I just don't know how I once found out back on the 1980s. I never had insider info from a participant.

Ok, I get the fact that it must be something to do with preventing preplanning or cheating by drivers, but what about promoting their event, and promoting vintage cars to the fullest by letting people to enjoy seeing the cars go by, if it is near their locations?  I guess it's all about money and another event just for the elites?   Sure, you are told where the stops are each night, but what about the rest of the day?  

I have no interest in driving in heavy traffic to/ or near the airfield museum at Bradley International Airport (across the state), just to see "parked cars". 

I already typed this post before you replied, so yes, I did figure that out. 

I get your points.... but this is a staged race first and foremost.  Your rationale to divulge the routes earlier for spectators are gonna fall on deaf ears on this forum. You should go directly to the organizers to air your reasons why it should be public.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Looks like a costly event, gas being what is these days. Hope everyone has a safe trip.

Bob 

I suspect gas is one of the least expensive aspects of this event. I'll bet anyone racing would not drop out over it - regardless of the cost of gas.  The entry fee, cost of the car, not to mention the truck/trailer inevitably involved, are probably exponentially more costly than the gas.  (1500 miles - 10mpg - $5 a gallon = $750 fuel bill)

But I do agree... Hope its a safe trip for all.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Frank why not hit the Air museum Saturday late pm, I think the cars are due to arrive around 4:30.

What I said in my 2nd sentence in post 1.. "Some of us never get a chance to see so many vintage cars out on the roads, actually DRIVING."

Unless a person has done so, it's just such a memorable, unforgettable experience to sit on the running board of a prewar and watch the cars go by waving and honking.  They don't run in a pack, as they start the race one at a time, so it's not going to be over quick.  You just wait for the next car a while, wondering what it might be.  This sure beats a static car show hands down.

Being that I'm on "day one" which is the only one to have no lunch stop (to help me figure out which area I should gamble on), I'm out of luck.  The guys further west of me might have a better chance of figuring out which main road they will likely take in their State, due to less choices of "logical" main roads, and going by each days' start point and already published daily lunch stops to narrow it down.

It's 2 hours max from Warwick to Bradley Field no matter if they enter CT in the southern part, or go north/middle entrance into CT instead.  The southern route would likely eventually end up on RT2.  The middle or northern routes from RI into CT would likely take RT6 or RT44.   RT6 was once named the 2nd most deadly road in the US in 1995, so they may avoid that.  IDK 

RT14 would be a middle entrance into CT and is very scenic/rural/ "Olde New England" and the Race planners sure wouldn't have been pressed to plan the fastest high speed Route on such a very short day trip?   Anyways, if I do decide to gamble on where to park, I would try the intersection of 6 and 44 in Bolton Notch, where they merge to RT 384. They would end up there even if they took RT14 too, IMO.   

• Like 1

For those looking for a place to watch the drive by Hemmings put out this list of locations and times.

SAT, JUN 18 AT 8 AM
Great Race - Rocky Point State Park

SAT, JUN 18 AT 4:30 PM
Great Race - New England Air Museum

SUN, JUN 19 AT 12:15 PM
Great Race - Clinton St, Montgomery, NY 12549, United States

SUN, JUN 19 AT 5 PM
Great Race - Court Street, Binghamton, NY

MON, JUN 20 AT 12:15 PM
Great Race - Alfred State Automotive Department

MON, JUN 20 AT 5 PM
Great Race - Perry Square, Stage

TUE, JUN 21 AT 12 PM
Great Race - Medina Square

TUE, JUN 21 AT 4:30 PM
VisitPerrysburg - Historic District

WED, JUN 22 AT 12 PM
Great Race - Studebaker National Museum

WED, JUN 22 AT 6 PM EDT
Great Race - Lockport Street, downtown Plainfield, IL

THU, JUN 23 AT 12:45 PM EDT
Great Race - Angell Park Speedway

THU, JUN 23 AT 3:30 PM EDT
Great Race - Chula Vista Resort

FRI, JUN 24 AT 1 PM EDT
Great Race - Chippewa Falls Main Street

FRI, JUN 24 AT 6 PM EDT
Great Race - Bayfront Festival Park

SAT, JUN 25 AT 12:45 PM EDT
Great Race - Brainerd International Raceway

SAT, JUN 25 AT 4 PM
Great Race - West Lake Drive, Detroit Lakes, MN

SUN, JUN 26 AT 2 PM EDT
Great Race - Fargo Broadway Square

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the info from 60FlatTop above could you ask at the air museum if they know what roads the racers are approaching on?  Then set up near the museum where the cars are still moving.  The same could be done as they leave in the morning I've done that and it's a great experience to see them take off.