Recommendation(s) for highly experienced and knowledgeable 1930's Gemmer steering gears (i.e. "box") expertise sought

TTR

As the title says, I'd like to get a contact info of someone who knows them well.

This person doesn't have to be a "rebuilder" per se (although that's how most of us gain real world experience), but able to describe/identify/understand not only their technical details and differences, casting and part numbers along with compatibility and interchangeability of their components, etc.

I hope you all understand that I'm asking recommendations only from those who actually know such a person(s).

Please, do not bother googling and/or recommending some random individual or service provider you can't actually vouch for, because just like with all other "recommendations" in life, offering any is always a reflection of your own intellect and integrity or lack thereof.

Thank you.

None.
Just need advise from somebody who is knowledgeable about them, preferably all or most of them from about mid-to-late 1930s.

Gemmer produced over half a dozen different models during that time frame for several different car manufacturers…

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

On 6/8/2022 at 11:25 AM, TTR said:

offering any is always a reflection of your own intellect and integrity or lack thereof.

I understand your intent, but I believe this statement will turn some people off and make them less willing to help you.

One person you can go to is John Cislak in Massachusetts.  He has rebuilt and made parts for Gemmer steering boxes of the era.  That's not from Google, that's from my personal knowledge, John is a friend of mine and quite active making, providing, and repairing Pierce Arrow parts and cars.

He does this for a living, so I'm not sure exactly how much he will share nr how long he'd talk to you (time is money) but worth a try.

You can Google him to find his contact information.  If Google doesn't work for you, PM me and I'll give you his contact information.

• Like 4

OK, I had hoped my original message/request was clear enough, but apparently not, so I apologize for that and try to make it more so.

- I don’t have a broken or malfunctioning steering gear and therefor no immediate need of someone to rebuild any.

- I’m not looking to find which different manufacturers at various eras (other than mid-to-late 1930s) used a Gemmer gears.

- I’m hoping/trying to find someone who is well acquainted and familiar with Gemmer gears used in "mid-to-late 1930s "and differences between them.

- I’m familiar with John C. I had him rebuild a steering gear for a clients L-29 several years ago. I didn’t think he would be able to advise/assist me on my current predicament, but maybe I’ll give him a call if this request doesn’t pan out. Thanks for the suggestion David C.

And yes, I understand a lot of people on various forums enjoy spending hours on end reading and responding to just about anything they see and realized part of my original comment was likely a turn off for some, but I deliberately chose it in attempt trying to avoid unnecessary banter or suggestions.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have a 1931 Franklin with a Gemmer steeering box. It was very worn . The Franklin club set out to make a kit to rebuild these boxes maybe 20 years ago . If I remember right it is an hour glasss worm gear and VERY hard to fabricate today . Some  of the club members actually found the machine in Argentina ?  and had many sets  made . I removed and sent my box to Dick Pratt the owner of ODAT machine in Maine . In my eyes he is an expert on this particular box . He might be someone you may want to contact . Great guy

• Like 2

I completely agree with Laura S, I had the Gemmer box in my car rebuilt by the same person. Not sure if he is still in business or not. Note if you want information a person who has a business to do this may want to help but by giving information may also be cutting short his own repair shop. Think of that and do not get angry if no information is forth coming.