Roadmaster

Casey J

I would suggest to scroll own to Buick - Post War section, a lot of knowledgeable people there, possibly @JohnD1956 will be able to help you and many others.

Bob

EDIT: where can i find the starter relay ?

On the drivers side inner fender skirt under the hood, here is what it looks like.

9DC49329-FD1B-45DA-BD4C-07C1D10C5CEC.jpeg

Edited by NailheadBob
update (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The solenoid is on (above) the starter motor.  Likely the copper bolt that the positive cable is connected to is loose, dirty, or the stud itself is burned on the solenoid side.  If you remove the plastic 'cap' from the solenoid the battery stud can be rotated and reinstalled to provide a new contact surface for the solenoid.

• Like 3

The starter solenoid is located on the drivers side fender skirt like @NailheadBob mentioned. Here is a picture of the location at the blue arrow

20220601_102350.jpg

A more direct picture shows it's location and orientation

20220601_102404.jpg

The other relay you see on the top is the horn relay.

But let me ask what your car's symptoms are. 

When you turn the key and step on the gas pedal do you hear any clicks?

If so can you tell if they are coming from the starter relay?  Or down lower by the starter?

Luckilly you can check this by yourself under the hood.  block your wheels and then turn on the ignition and then go under the hood and pull the carb linkage back towards the firewall to activate the starter switch.  If the relay clicks it is not the problem. 

• Like 1

One  simple problem could be battery terminals that need to be cleaned, especially if they were merely slipped on the battery posts and not tightened before you had the car last running.  Although that does not sound like the case since your headlights still work, I just wanted to be sure to mention it. 

• Like 2

As a test with the key on jump across the wires on the carburetor start switch...carefully since those wires are not fuse protected and will fry your harness if grounded.    if it starts then that switch needs cleaning or replacing.

If no joy jump 12V+ to the large black wire on the starter relay in the above pictures.

If no joy time to pull the starter and check the solenoid and starter.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Another problem to look for is a sticking vacuum switch on the carb.  When you depress the accelerator to start the car, the throttle linkage movement allows the mechanical part of the vacuum switch to close the solenoid circuit.  I've had mine stick a couple of times and a tap with a screwdriver handle freed it up.

• Like 1

Starter Solenoid switches big amps to the starter motor at the starter and the contacts will pit, limiting current to the motor. Notorious on marine engines.  See Emtees trick - I can vouch it works no need to buy a new one unless the coils are shot.

Starter Relay on fender switches lower amps to energize prior mentioned starter solenoid extending to complete the high amp circuit to motor.  Try rapping on lid with a screwdriver handle.  The cover can be removed and contacts cleaned if I have my relays right - someone correct me if not.  Unless the coils are shot on that relay these contacts can be cleaned up and still be used.  There’s a car quest part number that matches up if you’re in a jam. Would have to dig for it…..

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)
  • Like 2