Steering Wheel. Year, make & model of its original use ?

TTR

Overall O.D.: 17”

Hub O.D.: 4.5”

Horn button O.D.: 3”

Overall height: 4”

Bottom-to-spokes height: 3”

Color: Medium-to-Dark Brown

E1DA1943-EF6C-4DB1-8376-C303F8EDEA4A.jpeg

DB6588F0-0E33-4D42-BF0F-DC502A848B1F.jpeg

So, no knowledge on this one yet ?

I got it (as a gift) from a friend over 30 years ago and would like to know its original application, so I could try finding another one.

Thanks for trying, but other than general appearance, the suggested Zephyr wheels aren't even close in their details.

They might've been originally manufactured by same vendor, but ...

... no cigar.

As mentioned by another member, and I've been fully aware of this, there were hundreds if not thousands of different banjo wheels made for and featured in numerous pre- and post war cars, but in 30+ years I just haven't seen one identical to one in my posted pictures, let alone been able to figure out which exact year, make and model it was originally fitted to, hence this inquiry.

A friend who had seen this post/topic (and who's father gave me the pictured wheel) told me earlier today he has a '36-'38(?) Dodge wheel that looks very similar, but has some detail differences.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'm still thinking Foreign like Humber, Austin, Sunbeam, etc.  Late 40's to mid 50's. I think I even had a brochure or something for the Company that made steering wheels for all the companies , many based in the UK.  Quite a few car manufacture's over there and models you don't normally think of until you end up with a box full of brochures and see just how many different types of cars the companies made.  

@drwatson Thanks. My previously mentioned friend had suggested same and this is what I discovered in the underside of one of the inner attachment points for the spokes, so clearly a MoPar and likely from mid-to-late ‘30s.

Funny I hadn’t thought of looking for this during 30+ years of owning it, especially when most people consider me having severe OCD and I’m known for over-analyzing/- researching /-studying almost every detail in my life and work (i.e. old cars and their components).  🤔

F67590D0-37D3-4A90-8E77-2095FD6F09E8.jpeg

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Certainly a Mopar/DCPD parts number and logo.  Part #662302 falls in about the 1936 range.  I checked my 30s part manuals for Dodge, Dodge Truck, Chrysler and Plymouth and while the number range falls into the 1936 range, it does not show up in any of those listings.  Only one I do not have is the DeSoto parts list but all the photos I see show either the banjo wheel in the 'T' configuration with the additional arch of ribs over the top or the standard rubber (or whatever that compound is) wheel type.  No photos of the shaft attachment but I assume it is with a keyway as opposed to splines, which did not appear, at least to my limited knowledge, until circa 38.  Interesting wheel, particularly with the ribs on the front surface. 

As indicated, I also ran through the Dodge Truck Parts List for the 30s without results.  Thought it might be a special application such as one of those 36 and up Dodge Airflow Fuel trucks, but the photos I have found show them with a standard, albeit 4-spoke steering wheel, actually pretty spartan inside.  The search goes on.

Thanks guys, for checking your parts catalogs etc.

I never expected it being from a truck or other commercial vehicles since those, as mentioned, aren’t known for featuring anything more than utilitarian (“spartan” ?) components.

Fortunately mine is in great, unrestored condition, but I wouldn’t mind having a spare, just in case…

So if anyone comes across one at a swap meet or yard sale, keep me in mind.

On 6/2/2022 at 5:49 PM, Scott Bonesteel said:

Certainly a Mopar/DCPD parts number and logo.  Part #662302 falls in about the 1936 range.

Mopar logo & part number #662302, a breakthrough but I'm not seeing an ID on the steering wheel as yet. 

My Chilton parts books cover Mopar Standard and Deluxe steering wheels with factory p/n's from 1935 to 1938, no p/n #662302

was found making me believe #662302 might be for the core without horn button mechanism. 

It's a mid 1930's Mopar Deluxe accessory for a yet unknown model. 

35 minutes ago, drwatson said:

Mopar logo & part number #662302, a breakthrough but I'm not seeing an ID on the steering wheel as yet. 

My Chilton parts books cover Mopar Standard and Deluxe steering wheels with factory p/n's from 1935 to 1938, no p/n #662302

was found making me believe #662302 might be for the core without horn button mechanism. 

It's a mid 1930's Mopar Deluxe accessory for a yet unknown model. 

Or Canadian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3macboys said:

Looks similar to 1937 Dodge - the horn button doesn't match  but the wheel itself seems to

Agreed. Thanks.

OK, FOUND IT!  Comment by 3macboys and the photo showing the Ram horn button with the name 'DODGE' on it instead of just the ram got me thinking about a forum discussion I had some time ago about that button that I had acquired, had previously only seen the horn button with just the ram on it.  So I just broke out my Dodge Parts Lists again and looked at the horn BUTTON section.  The subject 662302 steering wheel is not listed in the Index or anywhere in the steering wheel section but that wheel IS listed under the listing of the various horn buttons as fitting a D2 (1936) Dodge.  See photo below, page from the horn button section of the Parts List, showing that button 574549 (apparently plain, without ram or DODGE lettering) is to be used "with 662302 (steel spoke)" steering wheel on D2 (1936) models.

Note that this is the ONLY place this number shows up in the Parts List, which is why it was so hard to find.  Note also that this 1929-1939 Parts List also includes export parts, so it would have captured Canadian part numbers, I believe.

20220603_203135.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2