Are they Dust Cap or Grease Caps?

jwood324

I got a few different ones but this is the only National I have. I'm curious this and others I have are called grease caps or dust caps. I've heard two different things. Also would love to know how much it might be worth if anyone knows. Thanks! My grandfather gave me some to sell and I want to know more about them before I do.

16528168721166328940166206047086.jpg

16528168982501193552930634322150.jpg

16528170078213829386810518975917.jpg

16528170234773684734026278168198.jpg

All caps of this style were intended to be both dust and grease caps. They were used on artillery style spoked wheels with exposed wheel bearings requiring greasing often so these were designed to be threaded and easily removeable with different types of wrenches. The hexagon was probably the most common wrench shape. That National with the separate brass emblem is a rare one.

• Like 2

I am with JV P on this! For most of a hundred years they usually were called "hubcaps" or "hub caps". They capped the hub, either front or rear. Kept in grease, kept out dust. Also made the wheel look pretty and prevent cutting one's leg on the cotter pin when one walked too close!

"Dust caps" and "grease caps" is mostly just the past twenty years.

There was/is a thing actually called a "grease cap". It is the plain little cap that snaps onto a front hub to cover the greased front wheel bearings beginning in the 1930s. At that time the term "hubcap" morphed into the partial and full wheel covers beginning in the 1930s and well into the later 20th century and even some cars today. These were purely decoration, and did not keep out dust nor contain the wheel bearing grease. So the otherwise exposed bearings needed grease caps. Since most cars from 1900 to about 1930 used a common "hub cap" on both the front and the rear? Neither "dust cap" or "grease cap" is actually appropriate for both? So although either term might be technically correct for front wheels? Why not call them what they were called when the cars were in daily use?

• Like 2

The term  "Hub Cap" was the common term for these items in Parts Lists for wood spoked wheels early on and they were used on front and rear, and since they were exposed, usually with badging of some sort.

When wire wheels became more common, at least Chrysler in their parts books began to differentiate between the inner "grease" cap " by calling it a "wire wheel hub grease cap" (usually had no marking/badge), and the outer decorative chrome item by calling it a "wire wheel hub shell cap"! Obviously these long terms were to differentiate parts for ordering etc, and not likely ever used by mechanics in the trade. Ironically, the small "hub cap" (for grease and dust control) eventually became a common term for what might be described as wheel disks, decorative wheel covers, etc, etc when in truth they are not hub caps at all. So personally I prefer the term "hub grease cap" for these small items as it more closely explains what they do, and for the uninformed, differentiates them from what everybody else in the world thinks a hub cap is!

These terms vary by region of the country, manufacturer, time and more! You might say they even vary by location on the car! Early Fords 1903-1910 do not have tapered rear axles, the hub is held on the axle by a pin which is kept in place by the screw on hubcap. The rear hubcaps are functioning members, you cannot drive the car without them. Front "hubcaps" are just "grease caps" to keep the grease in and dirt out, they are identical to the rears. Call the fronts what you will but the rears are more than a grease cap.

• Like 1