1939 Packard Super 8 - $20,000

44 minutes ago, billorn said:

Looks like a 120.

What is the difference between the 120 and the Super 8?

I see the hubcaps say Super Eight but I suppose they are interchangeable. 

6 hours ago, 41 Su8 said:

In '39 the grill louvers on the Super 8 alternated chrome and paint.

Isn't that what this car has?

Or am I seeing it wrong?

9 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Isn't that what this car has?

Or am I seeing it wrong?

Yes, just saying that it is a Super 8

On 4/28/2022 at 10:12 PM, billorn said:

Looks like a 120.

Beginning with the 1939 model year the 1703 Super Eight series was rationalized onto the 1938 Eight/1939 120 all-steel body shells and chassis platform.  The engine was a version of the multi-piece bloc 320 ci straight eight in production since 1929, modified to fit into the smaller engine compartment space.  As such its unique to only that model year, would be replaced by the completely new monobloc 356 ci produced for the upper series models for 1940-1950.  

The upholstery and interior trim details carry forward those of the 1938 Super Eight.  In addition to the alternated painted radiator shutters which it shares in common with the 1939 Twelve, the 1703 Series Super Eight is the only pre-war model with the chrome wind-split trim mounted on the side of the headlight shell.  

The advantage of the slightly redesigned straight eight for 1939 was better cooling, with more coolant passages between head and block.  Water pump had design changes also.Crankcase and bottom end were basically unchanged from 1937-38.

The 1938 engine is notorious for cracks in block due to metallurgical issues, probably exacerbated by cooling issues.

• Thanks 5