Vacuum Advance Rebuilder Recommendations??

r1lark

I have a distributor vacuum advance from an early sixties Nissan Patrol that is non-operational. NOS advances are crazy expensive IF they can be found, which is rarely. And then you still have a 60 year old diaphragm.

I've searched on this forum and found very little, and a couple of companies mentioned are no longer in business.

Looking for recommended companies that rebuild vacuum advances -- preferably companies that you have dealt with successfully.  Thanks in advance (no pun intended :)) for any help you can provide!

Edited by r1lark
added descriptor "distributor" (see edit history)

1 hour ago, JFranklin said:

It would seem to me that if the vacuum could be metered properly most any advance unit might work if a suitable bracket and arm could be fabricated.

Yes, my thoughts too.  Of course a picture of the advance would help too and the specs for the amount of advance required.

21 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Yes, my thoughts too.  Of course a picture of the advance would help too and the specs for the amount of advance required.

The goal here is to get the advance 'rebuilt' with a new diaphragm, so it mounts and works as original. Not interested in engineering a retrofit.

2 minutes ago, r1lark said:

The goal here is to get the advance 'rebuilt' with a new diaphragm, so it mounts and works as original. Not interested in engineering a retrofit.

Ok, not trying to steer you off your path of action.  All the best on your hunt for a rebuilder.  You still might want to post a pic in case someone has one and may not realize what it fits.  

There is more to a diaphragm unit than just move an arm with some vacuum. The spring, length of travel, etc. are different between part numbers/designs. Also some bleed air to regulate their operating curve. Even the "simple" Corvair used about 10 different part numbers to get the curves right! Lots of aftermarket replacements are just close, not exact, to limit the number of different parts to stock. Of course, one that kinda works is better than a non-working one.😉

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

There is more to a diaphragm unit than just move an arm with some vacuum. The spring, length of travel, etc. are different between part numbers/designs. Also some bleed air to regulate their operating curve. Even the "simple" Corvair used about 10 different part numbers to get the curves right! Lots of aftermarket replacements are just close, not exact, to limit the number of different parts to stock. Of course, one that kinda works is better than a non-working one.😉

For sure Frank, lots of variables! I didn't know that some vacuum advances have an air bleed. Mine still moves the arm, but just doesn't maintain a constant vacuum once pumped up. I'll check to see if there is some sort of air bleed hole on the cannister. 

Edited by r1lark (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Also some bleed air to regulate their operating curve.

What have you seen that on? Anything with a single diaphragm? Offhand, I only recall seeing it on the secondary part of dual advance units.

On distributors, yes, I have  only seen them on those dual diaphragm setups now that you mention it. On carburetors, I have seen the single diaphragm types with a bleed hole. 

• Like 1