Are there any motorcycle aficionado's around? I have a 1939 BSA

TAKerry

Yes, CZ/Jawa was quite a force in the 60's, I would imagine a lot of the pre war stuff has been lost to time. The '38 model I have has a pressed steel frame.  I started riding a Kawasaki in 1973. I was in 3rd grade, had to stop where my older brother was standing as my legs were too short to hold the bike up. A few years going by, my best friend had a Hodaka combat wombat with the big chrome tank. I thought that was the ugliest motorcycle ever made, but boy was that thing FAST!

Can't say I am too much of a fan of 3T's. Several weak points and pretty underwhelming overall. My TR5 shares many parts, but all round a far more capable machine. TR5 specific parts are rare and on the pricy side, but all in restoration cost is probably only 50% more. And a TR5 is easily worth triple what a 3T will sell for. Just my personal way of looking at things, I don't intend to hurt your Triumph's feelings. 

Actually I am way more of a Norton / BSA person. My first bike was a TR6 Trophy , but it was soon replaced by a Norton. Until the TR5 project came along I didn't have anything further to do with Triumph for 20 years.

• Like 1

One of the largest Brittish antique cycle shops in the country is a few blocks away from me, and the owner is a close friend. It's not well known, but I have a small collection of antique motorcycles.....and just added another one a few weeks ago. Anyways, if you want to PM me with your email address.......I will get you his email and I m certain he would be happy to look over your bike and offer comments. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TAKerry said:

As far as I know antique motorcycles are accepted into the frame of the AACA. Although there is a separate organization AMCA specifically for motor cycles. Having antique cars (and I have already made my view of the AMCA) I would prefer to showcase them here, not there. 

Yes indeed-AACA welcomes motorcycles.  There are several different classes for them and they are very welcome at our National Meets as well as in many of our local Region and Chapter events.

Terry

NATIONAL AWARDS Three Qtr View Other Side resized.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Correct on all accounts of the 3T. It was a fine motorcycle for the late 1930's.

I also had a flat tank Norton purpose built race bike.

For performance the Rudge machines my brother has do pretty well.

I had the pleasure of at least sitting on the very last Cosworth Norton ever built. I did not ride it-positively scary!!!

Terry

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 10:56 AM, TerryB said:

Me, second from right on my 1985 Honda XR350R enduro bike at an event in NJ.  I did off road endurance and scrambles for nearly 30 years.

I had a similar era XR350. Pretty sure it was a 1985. Mine had dual carbs. Did yours? It was a fun bike.

Your 750 looks a lot like mine. But I have only owned mine since 1977. Mine has a yellow roadster tank and roadster seat but is actually an Interstate. It still has the Interstate low pipes and larger side covers. I have the correct tank but the fiberglass Interstate seat base broke up years ago.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, keithb7 said:

I had a similar era XR350. Pretty sure it was a 1985. Mine had dual carbs. Did yours? It was a fun bike.

No, the dual carb went away on this non-street legal XR350. Honda dropped this model in off road only trim from 1986 on in the US.  The setup on this bike had a factory built in enduro clock and odometer which is perfect for off road endurance events.  Without that setup you would have to attach your own clock on the handlebars along with your route sheet holder and all in view of the odometer on the bike.

Long ago I had a XR 500 engine in a Yamaha TD chassis. Our local track had an open 500 cc , single cylinder class. That bike pulled like a freight train, complete opposite of the original 250, race ported, 2 stroke. If you think a XR 500 on dirt is a wheelie machine , try one on pavement with a sticky tire. You didn't even think of hitting the throttle hard until you had shifted your weight well forward. And a vastly easier engine to keep running than the very high strung 250.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 4:48 PM, 1912Staver said:

Your 750 looks a lot like mine. But I have only owned mine since 1977. Mine has a yellow roadster tank and roadster seat but is actually an Interstate. It still has the Interstate low pipes and larger side covers. I have the correct tank but the fiberglass Interstate seat base broke up years ago.

Most Commando's have been improved over the years.  Including reinforcing the glass seat frame on the 750, reinforcing the steel seat frame on the 850, plus fitting non wearing side spacers on the isolastic's, the Ludwig Head steady, Lansdown front fork inserts and Ikon rear shocks in the 850 . Modified swing arm pivot and throwing the side stand in the sea on the 750. Changing the gearbox and primary oils for ATF and reinforcing the centre stands  on both bikes. Both bikes handle like the Manx now [ well close anyway ].

Mine is still reasonably close to stock. I don't ride it enough these days to justify those sort of improvements. And I definitely don't  push it hard anymore . Today's traffic and very distracted car drivers have really had an impact on my interest in riding. I expect I will keep a couple of my bikes until the end , but plans for most of them include finding new owners. Apart from the roadster tank and seat , the only other changes I have made to my 750 are clip on's and rear sets, and as I am getting older I will probably switch back to flat bars in the near future.

16 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Mine is still reasonably close to stock. I don't ride it enough these days to justify those sort of improvements. And I definitely don't  push it hard anymore . Today's traffic and very distracted car drivers have really had an impact on my interest in riding. I expect I will keep a couple of my bikes until the end , but plans for most of them include finding new owners. Apart from the roadster tank and seat , the only other changes I have made to my 750 are clip on's and rear sets, and as I am getting older I will probably switch back to flat bars in the near future.

Don't get low bars. Get something that gives you more of the upright riding stance and go back to the standard foot pegs etc..  You can always slide your ass back on the seat to get the forward lean when you go faster. At our rally last week I was talking to a guy in his 50's who rode a Ducati. He cant ride for more that an hour on that bike so he has decided to sell it and get one he can ride in a more up right position.

I can still ride mine for up to 8 hours in a day. I do get a Bloody Sore Ass after a few hours though.

My first street bike what a Kawasaki 500 Mach III. Took that to the dmv for my license test when I was 16. My older brother bought the bike new. Ended up giving that bike away when it was worth less than scrap. Would love to have it back.

• Like 1

A few friends had them back in the mid 70's. Most actually survived !  My BIL had a  later GPZ 1100. But in traditional Kawasaki fashion, he took a big, high speed slide on that one . Much the same as most of my Kawasaki mounted friends did a decade before. In all cases I think it was a case of way too much bike, too little rider experience and skill. 

I have always stuck to older, mainly  British 500 and 750 machines for anything other than off road , dirt riding. They still go reasonably fast, but they seem in general to have  more sure footed road manners. Went through a relative brief period of Yamaha , 2 stroke twins . Mainly RD 350 street bikes , but also the previously mentioned TD3 based  {close cousin to a RD350 } track bike.

• Like 1