1926 Star Model F Rear Wheel/Hub Removal

3macboys

Good Evening All,.

I'm trying to remove the rear wheel off of this car for an inspection.  I have attached photo's of where I have gotten to so far.  As an aside the left wheel was missing the washer behind the castle nut and there was no cotter pin on that side either so further inspection is definitely warranted on the car. Pictured is the right rear but I have progressed to the same point on the left side.  These cars only have brakes on the rear axle.  I'm stuck at this point and can't budge the wheel at all by hand and I'm certain that there is something that I am missing that I need to remove to get the wheel off.  It wasn't obvious when I was in the shop today but looking at my pictures I am wondering if the area that I circles is a retaining clip?  Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Don1834066840_20220215_110336(2).jpg.f44a6f0cd3662cd25c90e9a88505e0b8.jpg

20220215_110345 (2).jpg

20220215_110636 (2).jpg

20220215_110810 (2)_LI.jpg

It is a tapered axle end with a keyway.  The taper is acting like a press fit and you need a special puller that threads on where the hubcap does.  Then the puller has a center pushing bolt to push against the axle by tightening it a lot.  Then hit the end of that bolt with a hammer to break the taper loose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, F&J said:

It is a tapered axle end with a keyway.  The taper is acting like a press fit and you need a special puller that threads on where the hubcap does.  Then the puller has a center pushing bolt to push against the axle by tightening it a lot.  Then hit the end of that bolt with a hammer to break the taper loose.

Thank you very much - I guess my next mission is to search the shop again for the puller.  The previous owner left a lot of tools for us including this puller below.  I can picture what is needed for the Star now though will be a cup shape to thread onto the outside and then the bolt through the center.  

20220215_113748.jpg

2 minutes ago, jan arnett (2) said:

I have broken them loose by backing off the nut and then slowly drive around in a circle.

That would be an option except for winter weather here and one of the other projects on this car is to repack the water pump but maybe it's time to switch the order of things.

• 2 weeks later...

This process actually uses the weight of the car to hold the wheel in place while moving the car away from the wheel to be removed.

If you don't have access to a puller, use the old timer's method is as follows:

• Jack up the opposing wheel
  • Lower the wheel & tire on the side to be removed on the floor
  • Loosen the axle nut flush to the axle end
  • Use a wood block to protect the axle/nut 
  • Hit the end of the axle with a 5# hammer
  • Repeat until the hub is loose

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I have to take my rear wheels off, l release the nut a few turns, maybe 2, then drive in a circle, one way or the other way. This puts pressure on the wheel and it pushes itself to the end of the nut. Works every time. Nothing breaks, and no damage. Then jack up car , release nut and wheel comes off.

• Like 1