Carburetors made by others

carbking

Some time ago there was mention in a couple of threads about carburetors being marked with the car name rather than the carburetor name. I mentioned one that might be the most familiar to most might be the Detroit Lubricator marked Packard Motor Car.

Well, anyone know with 1911 Stoddard-Dayton used a Stromberg carburetor? My Stromberg files don't tell me, or at least if they do, I haven't found it.

This drawing is clearly dated 12 July 1911.

Jon.

P1994.jpg

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I can count the number of Stoddard Dayton cars I have seen in person on two hands......and I have been around longer than I want to admit.............the collector in Ohio who has a few would be the go to guy to ask.

I can’t remember his name, but I do remember he has the largest collection of fishing poles and reels in the world.......if that helps!

Jon, cool carb.......what’s with the pink Fiat in the background? 😏

Sorry, I can’t help myself! I managed to piss off a few “Fancy Fiat” guys at Cavallino last month......even though they needed my help to make their over priced go carts run.........rotten bastards didn’t even say thank you.

When it comes to the fancy Fiat’s, I ALWAYS take Henry Ford II  advice........never buy a car you can piss over!😝

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ed - someone sent me the picture, I do not know its origin.

Unfortunately, the Stromberg parts prints do NOT give application; and the early assembly diagrams were photographed with 35mm film, whereas the parts were photographed with 16mm. My film digitizer will not do full-frame 35mm. Have a new one on order, will see how well it works.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

The drawings are, at least to me, quite interesting. When I first received that picture of the Stoddard-Dayton carburetor, I said to myself, that is a rip-off of a Stromberg type C. Now I find the drawing that shows that Stromberg actually made the carburetor for Stoddard-Dayton.

The one for the Moon is less deceiving, as, even though Stromberg is not on the cover, it plainly states "man'd for" Moon.

There are others that have special dataplates: I have seen Cole and Studebaker for Stromberg, and of course the Zenith for White which has been discussed here.

Jon.

• Like 1

Actually I'm fairly impressed at the cars name cast into the body......just the float bowl cover is a cheap and easy way out. 

Jon......do you have the plans for the carburetor that will give any car 145 miles per gallon? With your impressive database certainly you must have it! 😏

Have you ever actually indexed all the fly by night carburetor scam ideas? It would make an interesting book, especially since they were still for sale in the late 80’s. Then the “special” electronic fuel treatment coil that goes around the fuel line for fuel injection replaced all the old carb scams.

Ed - I have not. I of course am interested, and I have collected a few ads from J.C. Whitney. But have better things to do with my time. 

But, and I have mentioned this before, two of my most enjoyable files that I acquired with all the Stromberg drawings were: (1) a file describing Stromberg's interaction with would-be carburetor inventors, and (2) a file describing the team that evaluated modifications to Stromberg carburetors to avoid paying royalties to Carter for patent items.

But as far as high mileage carburetors are concerned, virtually ALL engines are capable of producing better mileage than the owner generally acquires.

Jon.

• Like 1

I don't know.

As you are probably aware, finding Graham information is not exceptionally easy.

And for those of us that do not bleed "Graham", understanding Graham models is only slightly less difficult than a test on differential equations! :P

Standard, Special, Custom, model numbers, model names, Series 1, Series 2 - ouch!

I have spent dozens of hours trying to make my Graham listings correct.

As far as the dataplate is concerned, I have several originals that are finished like the Packard ones. The background is a gloss black, with the raised items (text, border, etc.) appearing to be natural.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 9:19 AM, carbking said:

Some time ago there was mention in a couple of threads about carburetors being marked with the car name rather than the carburetor name. I mentioned one that might be the most familiar to most might be the Detroit Lubricator marked Packard Motor Car.

Well, anyone know with 1911 Stoddard-Dayton used a Stromberg carburetor? My Stromberg files don't tell me, or at least if they do, I haven't found it.

This drawing is clearly dated 12 July 1911.

Jon.

P1994.jpg

Funny you should mention that Jon. I just finished a carburetor overhaul including shaft bushings on a 1964 VW beetle of mine. The carb has SOLEX and VW logos cast into it. It's a 28PICT that was made for this engine in 1966. The engine is a KD 1966 1200 40HP replacement engine.

44 minutes ago, Graham Man said:

Jon,

You have seen GP carbs painted like this?  I always assumed the Packard ones were screen printed?  and the GP ones were embossed?

image.png.76cac2f16d4715caca753d42d0c71b57.png

image.png.79fb0cd9b0130abe6947003d86cc64f0.png612 Model

I don't have a photo but I had a Graham DL parts carb with the acid etched/painted cover similar to Packard and Cadillac.