Some very rare unseen cars in Canada , field cars and barn finds, pics are three years ago

arcticbuicks

Just for intrest , the 20s cars ( first 7 pics) sold in farm auction 2-3 years ago average $4000. Ea. The 95 yr old guy had around 200 ! Even the interiors were nice and mouse free.

Following pictures are random pics I take of different places mostly northern Canadian field cars 

FB011E13-1D09-4146-889F-22FD541A53A7.jpeg

44E3A4B0-398C-4A38-87F8-D362DC6A0525.jpeg

D7845C38-F1EE-4531-A1E7-AFB6F0C1DAE4.jpeg

6AD45424-07D2-416E-9A72-D6A034A21EA4.jpeg

373135B9-6398-450A-A8FE-909FEAA61C59.jpeg

E2041F12-CD46-4696-A1CB-A375261D7246.jpeg

93BB9BA4-56A3-42AC-97CA-86120654F611.jpeg

BDB65FC9-0770-473A-A8C5-BE5ABF87BDD5.jpeg

9789395C-00FF-4F19-BE30-F7FC361842A1.jpeg

C6164B38-3A32-46A7-8CB8-8177964FF3B1.jpeg

AE800BB8-6966-49DB-A6D8-87B83A9E8B1F.jpeg

B298CA6F-F11C-438F-BA75-2B58D4C17265.jpeg

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 7

The storage area of the Reynolds Museum , this storage area is rarely open to the public …….to give you an idea of size , I took pics along one wall…….there is a double center row …..and another row on opposite wall……and that’s just this storage building  !  ……another building houses a lot of aircraft ……. The main public display building is amazing also …there is also a huge HUGE library and I think they will assist and look up information needed by make and model , there is also a restaurant and store in the museum 464D2025-5A88-4CBC-B600-94FF1530E3A1.jpeg

4079A058-52E9-4D58-99FF-0E242A20DE62.jpeg

8D06FD9B-506A-4466-84A6-E6F2E5FDF749.jpeg

4B51C5B0-813A-4D7D-8803-1B95FCF31600.jpeg

39871F51-9F12-41E9-9BFE-A9786625915B.jpeg

73D1A7A0-8B8B-4EAF-862A-14DD0732B220.jpeg

E55F2187-902C-4AD5-BD71-6E312326E345.jpeg

• Like 6

I love those Chevy wagons and sedan deliveries all next to each other in the grass. They must not use much salt on the roads way up there. Everything can I see looks like it was well worth rescuing. Did you buy anything at the auction? Thanks for the great photos.

• Like 2

The pictures of the enormous wear houses with the second levels  , is just the storage area of the “ Stan Reynolds museum “ in northern Alberta Canada ,and a few museum display pictures I took also,one of the worlds largest collections including airplanes, the property is 89 hectares , Stan Reynolds was a private collector that had about 1200 pieces , the museum is now run by the province of Alberta Canada, I was lucky enough to get a staff tour of the west houses and some never public viewed cars , I think one day a year they do a tour also .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Reynolds collection is a great visit. But a lot of the collection is in storage and not available for viewing. Stan Reynolds sales used to have a lot of parts and project cars for sale on a separate property just East of the museum but I am not sure if that is still the case.

Hi shaver 

everything is at the museum now ,several more storage buildings have been built in recent years also , when the province took over the collection years ago  I think they had to sell 600-800 in a big auction as they couldn’t house it all.

The Pics I posted first of the late 20s cars were from a interesting guy that had a collection of 250 in Saskatchewan in a remote rural area and he collected all his life .”Gervais Family Farm Wheels”.sadly it was all auctioned off .

There was a 1907 International auto buggy in running condition .

And yes true that a lot of the collection is not for public viewing yet , that is why I thought hey , I would post the pics for people alive today to see, the cars stored or rather saved in preservation for the future are quite something and the museum is doing all they can handle ,the director told me , they can’t even handle all the donations of amazing collections from other people . They do rotate some of the cars for public display into the main museum building .

• Like 2

• arcticbuicks changed the title to Some very rare unseen cars in Canada , field cars and barn finds, pics are three years ago

I'm amazed by the apparent rot-free condition of even the neglected cars. I'd love to have that International! For many years I've had the preconceived notion that old Canadian cars tend to be rusted out. (Same as northern US cities.) I'm obviously wrong. It makes me wonder, though...at what latitude does it become too cold to use salt?

I've been following (with great interest) Alvin Jamieson's noble attempt to save this car that he rescued from the crusher. His T-Bird is kind of how I perceived old neglected cars in Canada, condition wise. He's from Saskatchewan, I believe, but I don't know how far north. It could be that the rust on this car is from the muddy mucky environment it was kept in rather than the salt.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

Hi James , 

I have hunted old cars all my life across Canada. 
You have to consider the size of Canada and that it has different climate areas .The east Maritime provinces and Ontario and Quebec are mostly like the US rust belt area , but some areas say pre1950 in rural areas too didnt use salt , and salt didnt tend to be used much below -15, 

Manitoba Saskatchewan and Alberta are much like North Dakota South Dakota and Montana , but colder and there are nice fairly rust free cars in those states especially from rural areas.

Also it depends if the car stayed in an area it’s whole life .

Also it is cold and winter is dry in central Canada , summers are also hot and dry in central and northern Canada .

British Columbia in the west to the coast can be a mix and I have seen both good and bad condition cars . 
I would have to say Saskatchewan Alberta and the west and northern area of Manitoba are some gold mine areas of nice classic cars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That building is just one ! … of many just as big or bigger , the property is so big it has an airport and jets and old aircraft in other building …..besides the huge main museum building , it has to be nearly or maybe the largest in the world

I agree , to a point. The vast majority of rural Prairie cars are very run of the mill cars. Sheet metal may be good but other than rod material not too much to get excited about.  Quite a few trucks as well, but once again the majority will end up as rods. Anything that is early and has wood body framing will be in the usual shambles unless it has been stored indoors for decades. And 98 % of the time the usual Chevy, Ford, Plymouth etc. Plus huge distances . Are you really going to make a say 4000 mile round trip to retrieve a 1952 Buick Special sedan ? Even if it has been sitting in a shed for decades. It is still going to need a serious amount of work to even be a drivable car again.

A good number of the more interesting vehicles in the Reynold's collection came from Barney Pollard. Some are Canadian , but most of those were what was in the boneyard. The Alberta Gov built the Museum building back when things were good in the oil patch.

My early years in Winnipeg , and many visits to  farms that were owned by older family members. As a kid it was a wonderful playground. But looking back there was nothing I saw that would have been worth a trip from my current location { last 50 years } of British Columbia. I made a couple trips to Reynolds back about 15 years ago and retrieved a parts car for my 1918 McLaughlin. But even then once I totaled up my expenses I really had to wonder if it had been worth the cost. There were still some decent , early relics in the yard at that time. And the prices were within reason. But the total cost just didn't work out to something that made sense to me.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Yes true that the country cars are mostly more basic , but I do know of a few rare ones in remote places , a Auburn boat tail on a farm , a 356 no rust Porsche accident car ,a rolls Royce in the 20s with rotten pot metal engine parts sitting, a hemi cuda way up north ……I could think of more but yes very rare. 
I have many guys that have travelled from southern states over many years to get a perfect patina paint Saskatchewan car and you will see them in southern us car shows.

I am trying to go see an old friend of mine ( if he is still alive ) in his 90s , he was an oil field guy and endless money , he bought all the best cars at every auction mostly in the 1980s , I havnt been in his buildings for many years and he even has a Aston Martin DB4 ……I want to photograph them all for posting .

The reason the special one are still in remote locations is as often as not are that the owners have very unrealistic ideas of what they are worth. Or really just want to hold on to them regardless of what they are offered.

We all like to fantasize there are undiscovered , desirable , reasonably priced cars out there. And I suppose if one devotes enough time and resources to searching for needles in haystacks , sooner or later some people do luck out. But for someone like me; of very average means now that I have retired, I prefer to just look at what shows up at swap meets.  Just a basic level of participation in the old car hobby gets increasingly difficult as the years go by. Income never keeps up with cost of living in Canada for the majority of Canadian households. Expensive hobbies like old cars are significantly impacted.

Just now, 1912Staver said:

The reason the special one are still in remote locations is as often as not are that the owners have very unrealistic ideas of what they are worth. Or really just want to hold on to them regardless of what they are offered.

We all like to fantasize there are undiscovered , desirable , reasonably priced cars out there. And I suppose if one devotes enough time and resources to searching for needles in haystacks , sooner or later some people do luck out. But for someone like me; of very average means now that I have retired, I prefer to just look at what shows up at swap meets.  Just a basic level of participation in the old car hobby gets increasingly difficult as the years go by. Income never keeps up with cost of living in Canada for the majority of Canadian households. Expensive hobbies like old cars are significantly impacted.

For entirely different reasons than money I am out of the active hobby for 10 years and yet I still think about the undiscovered gems out there.  The cars in grass are the car guy’s field of dreams.  I really enjoy these photos.  The coupes missing their front fenders and engines remind me of the dirt track racer cars I would go to see race on a Sunday afternoon with my dad.  I often thought I would like to recreate one of those racers if I ever had the opportunity.  Yep, field of dreams!

• Like 1

You also have to remember I am a hobbyist, not a flipper. I still own 80 % of the hobby cars I have ever owned. A car has to make sense in terms of my overall situation, not if it is cheap enough to make money off of. My number one limitation is space. 

That looks like a very nice Merc !

Terry , I have a 57 Chev H.T asphalt, circle track car. Built in 1969, raced in the Pacific North West for many years. Mostly Washington State. Rough and almost at the point of no return.  It really needs a new owner. But it makes good yard art.DSC_8501.JPG.4ee07abf178f913a852243803e13a4b6.JPG

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 2