1950 Chrysler Town And Country Newport Coupe - 1 year only model, Dry CA car

I really like this.  And it seems like it is not priced stupid like 90% of the stuff we see.  Am I missing something?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284605033901

Representing the end of the line for Chrysler’s luxurious post-war “woodie” automobiles, the Town and Country Newport of 1950 was a one-year-only model, and it was also the only factory production “hardtop” Town and Country ever built. It utilized its own unique, all-steel body, which had decorative ash framing that was hand-formed and then applied to the assembled steel body panels and around the side panel inserts that had been painted the same as the body color. Underneath were disc brakes, which Chrysler had first pioneered in 1949.

Offered only with the 135-horsepower Spitfire straight eight and Fluid Drive transmission, the Town and Country Newport retailed at $4,028, making it Chrysler’s most expensive car outside of the big Crown Imperial sedans. Only 698 were built, after which the luxury Town and Country, once the favorite of movie stars and country club founders, became a thing of history.

This original California dry example has no rust in the body. It has very presentable paint and interior.    New Firestone tires mounted on original recently powder coated rims.   The Town and country starts easily, runs great and has been tuned up.     Back bumper needs replating.   Needs brake work in order to be driven. 

Image 2 - 1950 Chrysler Town & CountryImage 5 - 1950 Chrysler Town & CountryImage 11 - 1950 Chrysler Town & CountryImage 16 - 1950 Chrysler Town & Country

• Like 2

1950 Chrysler Town & Country

1950 Chrysler Town And Country Newport Coupe - 1 year only model, Dry CA ca

US $22,400.00
Shipping:
Buyer responsible for vehicle pick-up or shipping
Located in:
Amenia, New York, United States

Payments:
Full payment is required within 7 days of listing close

Edited by f.f.jones
Added info (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Hans1965 said:

Really nice car, but what the heck happened to the rear bumper? 

Judging from the condition of the wood on the back of the trunk lid and the bumper I would venture to guess that there was a leak wherever the car was stored and that part of the bumper and the wood was exposed to the water for quite some time.

2 hours ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

Judging from the condition of the wood on the back of the trunk lid and the bumper I would venture to guess that there was a leak wherever the car was stored and that part of the bumper and the wood was exposed to the water for quite some time.

Yes, looks like that. Always wonder when sellers do not really address such obvious things properly in their description. Just to say 'bumper needs replating' when the rest of the car looks nice, is just too little. 

Now that I am looking at it on my laptop, this thing is a tire fire.  That interior?  White and black modern stupidity.   As some of you know, most of these came with highlander interiors with a nice leather top to the seats and bottoms of seat, and in the doors.  I've never seen one in person but I have read about and seen an excellent article in Collectible Automobile and generally followed the 1950 Town and Country's as I have seen them for sale.  $22,000 is way too high.  But someone will buy it.  

On 1/21/2022 at 4:24 AM, B Jake Moran said:

Looks like a weird Continental style deep bumper.  Replace the whole thing. 

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's just a stock '50 Chrysler rear bumper.  Compare it with the '50 Windsor that's listed right above the T&C.

110209039_50tc.jpg.034fcb0b5103c38cf336aa40eb62356c.jpg

50Windsor.jpg.f32e8acf88377e28764495db35784b62.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 9:15 AM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Been on fb marketplace for months at 22k.  AJ could be you for maybe 16k?

Thanks Steve.  Just what I need.  I'll find a picture of our 49 T&C convertible somewhere.  It had 45k miles on it originally and was a complete cream puff.   I hated the gyromatic transmission.

2 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Hey I agree now!  It just looks very lllooonnggg. But maybe it looks ok in person. 

And I agree that it looks odd.  But I think that's due to the unusual shape of the T&C rear deck, not the bumper.