Stitt's Supply Co, Churchtown, PA

Michigan Farmer

I live about 15 minutes away from the little village of Churchtown and drive through it at least 2 or 3 times a week. I've never heard of Stitt's, but the article gives some clues about how long ago this was, as it notes that Mr. Stitt is in a building that also houses the township police department, a beauty salon and the Friendship Village Restaurant. Caernarvon Township Lancaster County disbanded it's police department quite a few years ago and the beauty salon and the restaurant are also long gone. I believe you're correct that the shop was probably closed after Mr. Stitt passed away. 

At one time they were the go-to guys for Model A Ford interiors.  Not certain but believe they sold out to LB, and we all know what became of that!

Terry

• Like 1

I purchased several yards of top canvas from Stitt's in 1971.  I wanted to make my own top because I didn't have the money to have one made, and ready-made tops were unavailable for my car.  Mr. Stitt sent me a pamphlet he'd written, "Re-topping the Antique Car", which showed how to make a top for a circa-1920 touring car.  My car is a 1930's convertible coupe, but I was able to adapt the instructions to fit my car.  I also had pieces of the old top to use as patterns.  I cut and pinned together the individual canvas panels, and had them sewn by a fellow who made canvas boat covers.  The resulting top lasted me 47 years (with the help of strategically placed duct tape).  In 2020 I had a new top fabricated by an expert.

I used to keep the top down to hide my amateur workmanship, but since getting the new top, I keep it up almost all the time.

• Like 2

Edward Stitt was an amazing man to say the least. Besides being a great source of materials and knowledge relating to antique auto upholstery, He was an author of aviation  and auto upholstering books. He was a contributor of antique auto articles in the Antique Automobile magazine. His aviation literature accomplishments include: Primary Instruction Manual for Students of the Fascinating Sport and Profession of Flying  1939.   

Flying made Easy: A Primary Instruction Manual   1941.   and Auto subjects : Stitt's Guidebook for Rejuvenation of Elderly Autos 1970.  Your Free Reprints from Stitt's  1970.  In July of 1937 he set a National Aeronautic Association verified distance mark for light aircraft of 584 miles in an Aeronca C2 although he landed and flipped in a field at night uninjured. Although his Father was indeed an extremely accomplished man to include Surgeon General of the Navy, Ed was also an accomplished Naval Aviator and was especially fond of U.S. Navy flying boats which he delivered from the Grumman factory and the Naval Aircraft Factory in Philadelphia to worldwide destinations during and after WWII. His favourites were Grumman Goose and Ducks. After leaving his shop of many years in New Jersey, he built the lovely stone strip type storefronts in Churchtown. My wife and I would visit to buy materials and hardware from his incredible collection of auto fasteners especially rare top items. His wife Evelyn was especially endearing and kept a large number of cats who liked to be "swept" with a broom and all vied for her attention. He kept going after her passing but things were not quite the same at the shop. He kept his pilots license current at least into his 90's. I remember that he fell off the roof at the shop undertaking a repair and I think, broke his shoulder or collarbone. A MUCH younger girlfriend showed up along with her mother and stayed. We were to say the least, dismayed at the situation but he seemed happy. Things seemed to go downhill after that and Ed passed in 1993. 

Edited by rcr (see edit history)
  • Like 2