Build Information - Chrysler

33DP

It depends on the make and year of your car.

From your user name I am guessing you have a 1933 Dodge with an engineering code of DP. But your "NSW" location might mean you are out of luck.

At least for North American built cars, Chrysler assigned serial number ranges to assembly plants so you can tell where the car was manufactured based on the serial number. I have a look up tool for that at https://www.ply33.com/Misc/vin

For 1930 and later cars assembled in the US, you could get a copy of the "build card" from the Chrysler Historical group. The information on the build card varied over the years but for that era I would expect it to show the original engine number, original body number, paint and trim codes, options and where the car was shipped. But between ownership changes and the pandemic it is not clear to me if that service will become available again.

But if you car was not assembled in North America then I am not sure where you can get information about it.

• Like 1

I believe the car was built in Nth America. The engine no is CT5-5I57 ( I could be a 1 ) and body no N924962P.  I will try the Chrysler Historical group.

Thanks for the information.

4 hours ago, 33DP said:

I believe the car was built in Nth America. The engine no is CT5-5I57 ( I could be a 1 ) and body no N924962P.  I will try the Chrysler Historical group.

Most likely was shipped as a kit from the US to be assembled and bodied locally 

• Like 1

Well after looking closer in the light of day, it is a T J Richards body therefore Australian built.

Put car up on hoist and looks like a new car underneath. I think I got a good one.

19 hours ago, 33DP said:

In the U.S. the 1933 Chrysler Royal Eight, Series CT, used the serial numbers from CT10001 to CT11396.  If it was built for export, the serial number series may be different to identify it as such, perhaps for RHD models.  Good luck with your search, hope this helps.

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Build Information - Chrysler
  • 2 months later...

Ok the plot thickens. After doing some searching and becoming confused more than usual, it appears that my engine no T5-5157 is either a KC or KCL

model truck motor. On checking the owners manual it also says the same model numbers. It book is for the export model dated August 1934 so maybe I have a 34 model not 33. The big problem is of course that T J Richards reference material is very if not impossible to find. So I have to resign myself to the fact I appear to have a sedan bodied truck.

Old car ownership is never dull is it?

There are some photos in the title " Today I bought a Dodge " if you would like to see what the car looks like. I will take closer shots of the engine tomorrow that make me think it is a KC/KCL engine. And also of the owners book.

7 hours ago, 33DP said:

Ok the plot thickens. After doing some searching and becoming confused more than usual, it appears that my engine no T5-5157 is either a KC or KCL

model truck motor. On checking the owners manual it also says the same model numbers. It book is for the export model dated August 1934 so maybe I have a 34 model not 33. The big problem is of course that T J Richards reference material is very if not impossible to find. So I have to resign myself to the fact I appear to have a sedan bodied truck.

Old car ownership is never dull is it?

Never a dull moment with anything Chrysler related.

Based on the photos in your other thread such as non-original color and other replaced parts if I owned it, I'd be asking other questions.

Btw, the car looks like it was very well done but doesn't guarantee originality. 

Is the engine # stamped, typed or handwritten?

If it is handwritten, is it possible a previous owner wrote down a replacement truck engine number in the manual?

If it is factory, was it common place to put truck engines in sedans in 33/34? 

Should I send away for a build card to the Chrysler Museum and, could this answer all of my questions?

If it is a replacement engine (which would be my guess), details like these left over from prior owners are a mess to sort out all these years later. The only true way to resolve it is to get a build card from the Chrysler Museum as mentioned by ply33 in the 3rd post. If that's not an option, then original paperwork. If that's not an option, then factory literature proving truck engines were used in sedans, thus proving it may have been a possibility.

If none of the above are available, then anything is possible, but I'd assume nothing without proof.

Never a dull moment for sure...

Here is the contact for Chrysler Historical. I'd start by emailing Danielle. They are still processing requests for build cards but due to the pandemic all those who are sending in requests are asked to be patient. If that doesn't work, then you'll be forced to go other routes. 
Good luck. The answer is out there somewhere.

By mail 
Historical Services
CIMS 410-11-21
12501 Chrysler Freeway
Detroit, MI 48288

Email
danielle.szostak@fcagroup.com

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)