Who puts new Porcelain on exhaust manifolds these days ?

californiamilleghia

Prairie Auto Porcelain and Independence Porcelain are two of the better ones. I had my 1939 LaSalle exhaust manifolds done as that is what was the original coating. They blasted the manifolds clean, then put them through the porcelain bonding process which, by the way, was developed and patented by David Buick and made him a lot of money and allowed him to follow his dream of building engine….but I digress. The manifolds came out great until I started driving and it failed in several areas. My understanding is that porcelain over aged cast iron does not hold up near as well as over virgin cast iron. 

I ended up using ceramic coating by Jet-Hot. It has held up great and is very durable as compared to porcelain. The best sheen you can get with ceramic coating is a satin…not quite as nice as glossy porcelain but it lasts.

No, you can’t use powder coating due to the high temperatures as it will just melt off.

Scott

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)

Video showing the porcelain on the manifolds before it began failing before the first 100 miles

Photo after the porcelain started to fail

IMG_1324.JPG.24a3b80d03309faba32b728cd4fa1bcf.JPG

Video showing the ceramic coating

You can see the difference in surface finish and sheen (not quite as pretty as new porcelain) but I'm quite happy with the ceramic as I have a few thousand miles on that without any issue.