1917 Studebaker

rjp

Got it home!! It is a 1917 ED series 18. it does have the reverse pass seat. Is that the big 6 or just six.  Engine no. is hard to read.10 something and ends in a R If Iam looking in the correct place on the top of the motor.  Thanks Roger

21 hours ago, rjp said:

What is some of the major  bad things that could go wrong on a 17  that I should look for? 

On a 104 year old car? Everything! 😎

Sorry, sometimes I can’t help myself.

Getting into pre WWI cars is a fantastic pastime. Stick you toe in the water slowly. Join the HCCA, and also start reading the early Buick threads.....they are very active for the early car guys. Stude always made good car......and like everyone else, they have common issues. Join a few car clubs........single marque. Buick, Stude, Ford T, ect. Buy a complete and running car.....stay away from what looks like a bargain  that needs work or missing parts. I have a 15 T, a world upon to themselves. A T as a collector cars is totally different from anything else...........so understand that they have no basis in common with any other car. Go to local meets and shows, or ride along on a tour. Takes a while to figure thing out. Most importantly is to have fun and meet new and interesting people.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

On 11/10/2021 at 12:53 PM, rjp said:

What is some of the major  bad things that could go wrong on a 17  that I should look for? 

If the engine has not been turned over for some time one of the things you could check  is that the water pump shaft is free in its bearing. The pump is driven by the cam gear and if the shaft is seized/binding in the bearing the gears can be damaged. 

• Like 1