1920 Buick clutch

rjp

the clutch on my 1920 Buick alot of the times, when starting out will ratel and grab and shake the hole car. Sounds real bad!!  Is that bad disks? or worse. Has anyone else experienced  such a thing. I took off trans top and bearings look good and built up the shifting forks some.  Thanks    Roger

Sometimes if a clutch gets dirty or oily it will do this. Sometimes it can be helped with a soaking of Brake-Kleen or allowing the clutch to slip enough to cut dirt. If you are going to go to the trouble of replacement it won't hurt to try some old backyard fixes. I do not know a Buick clutch and others need to give you specific help.

Edited by JFranklin
Added caveat (see edit history)

Roger, On my 1925 Buick, there is an upper clutch inspection plate held with 2 screws, and you can remove the lower flywheel cover by removing maybe 7 bolts.   Start by pulling these and post some pictures.  Each friction disc has an end seam as the original friction material is 5/32” by about 1”, but formed into a circle.  If these have failed you will see frayed fabric outside the outer circumference of the disc.  
Hugh

• Like 1

I put two cans of brake clean down inspection hole while working the clutch and turning it around . Started it  up and slipping the clutch rev. then forward. About 15 times. Same thing. I had no problems , I thought it worked until I let my foot clear of the clutch peddle. I did not see any thing bad as far as bad friction disks. Iam out of time now for a couple of weeks. I did get alot of rust out the bottom .  Roger

Ok, thanks. I might try tomorrow cant seem to gain much. The linings look almost new but I cant  get a good measure. There is alot of rust. How much or how big can the slots be in the disks where the studs go?? Thanks again.    Roger Washington State

Got rear end and trany and clutch out. The lining is ok, the plates are pitted but smooth, not sure it was put together right. The ears on the clutches were on the pins on the clutch not the fly wheel. I will look at the pictures again. All tabs go toward fly wheel?  Thanks I will post some pictures

Good thing you pulled that clutch out.  It was put together wrong. The outer tabs belong on the 3 flywheel studs that have flat sides. When installing,  it is good to put a little grease on the outer tabs and the flat sides of the studs.  The inner tabs get a touch of grease as do the flats of the clutch spider.  You need to replace any disc that has broken tabs.
The original friction discs were replaced if the friction disc material is a solid ring of friction material.     Hugh

• Like 1

The Clutch guy that looked at it most the afternoon thought the the one tab that sticks out on all disks should not all be on the same bolt. but staggered all the way around. Any thoughts?   Thanks Roger

12 hours ago, Morgan Wright said:

This topic should answer your questions. 

so they can run either way?  I had the bottum one upside down from the rest, but I dont think any thing on mine was correct

Roger, 

I do not think it really matters which way the tabs are facing on either the inner or the outer tabs.  The factory photo shows the way they were installed, but you may get more life by flipping them.  They also need a little grease on the tab.  I have also seen them installed with tabs facing each other in pairs.  

It looks like your steel discs may be OK depending on how smooth the friction surface is.  For the double sided friction discs, you are missing outer tabs on some due to improper prior assembly.  You need to remove the rivets and get new steel backing plates.  You may only need the longer BR5-6 rivets, and the rivet flare tool.   See the link below.  The steel discs with friction liners are easier to find because they are not a wear item like the steel only discs.     Hugh         

BR would refer to Brass.  I used #5-6s rivets on my clutch relining. All the units I have seen on both my 1925s, on the spare engines I have and the one spare clutch I bought all show tabs up.

DSCF2883.JPG.4e0915675f372f97940e9a0a71b1533c.JPG

Standard left.        Master right.

DSCF2917.JPG.060909adbc30891643b91a8ee19d11df.JPG

DSCF2918.JPG.21c768be35ec92aa2290af4e204da413.JPG

DSCF2934.JPG.cbd3583193f95817d97e6ceeb36786c0.JPG Using my drill press to set the rivets.