Radiator Runaround. 1990 Chevy Suburban.

Dandy Dave

The radiator in my 1990 Chevy V1500 Suburban sprung some leaks and I have been trying to get a correct replacement. Going around in circles as the part numbers listed in the original GM parts list do not match a correct height on an OME direct replacement. My radiator dimensions are 28 - 3/4 core width by 20 and 1/2  tank height. This GM part number 52479539 as listed in the GM parts list is too short at 19 inch core ( tank height). These are all over the internet and according to the GM part number they should fit but do not. Does anyone have a correct part number for an after market replacement? I assume that my Suburban was ordered with a Heavy Duty radiator for towing. The taller radiator seems to have been used in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks but I cannot find a part number that matches the taller tank radiators either. Keeps coming back around to a 19 inch tank. 

Anybody else have this problem with parts listed as OME direct replacements that just do not fit? Running in circles and getting tired. Starting to loose it. 😜 🤪 😬 Dandy Dave!  

The core height is not the tank height. The core is measured from top rail to bottom rail. The tanks are taller than that. I suspect that the 19" core is the correct radiator. This is an old body style Suburban, correct?

Radiator.png

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Those "Champion" brand radiators work well.

They are incorrect aluminum replacements. Undoubtedly imported.

Last one I bought was by dimension as it was for a custom. But they do list by application as well.

And they don't cost much.

2 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

The core height is not the tank height. The core is measured from top rail to bottom rail. The tanks are taller than that. I suspect that the 19" core is the correct radiator. This is an old body style Suburban, correct?

Radiator.png

Well that's what I told them at the parts store. It has a 19 inch core. The radiator that came was a 19 inch core also was with 19 inch height on the tanks. Not 20 and 1/2. 

I know you have the older R/V body style, but in the case of my GMT400 Suburban, they made a number of different radiator combos:  smaller for the 1500, larger for the 2500, with and without engine oil cooler, with and without tranny cooler, gas vs Diesel, tow package, snow plow ("1 ton") package, and so on.  They all "fit" - but obviously some are heavier duty than others.

Ask them to look up a 2500 with a 454 or Diesel instead of a 1500 and see what happens.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2021 at 12:56 AM, mike6024 said:

OReilly has several that comes up and the dimensions listed seem confused. Dimensions are not even consistent, so can't be trusted.

Screenshot (979).png

Screenshot (980).png

Yup. Just what I have been running into. Dandy Dave!

On 9/19/2021 at 7:52 AM, Trulyvintage said:

You need to figure out the number of rows

and the radiator dimensions and where

the inlet and outlet locations are.

Jim

I know what I have. The parts places have dimensions that match the core height and width, plus tube rows, but the tank height does not match my tank height even though the list says it will. The new plastic and aluminum radiators have shorter end tanks even though the core measures the same. The guys in the white coats are coming any minute.... Dandy Dave!   

• Haha 1

Not sure this will help but your radiator GM number crosses to Delco number 20907 which was the new number for 20546 which was caused by the brass to aluminum rad switch. My illustrated catalog only shows the dimensions of the old number and I don't have a later catalog than 1999. With the supersessions there were 6 rads cataloged for your vehicle. Lots of consolidation and discontinuing since then.  I'll attach the illustration of 20546. It is possible the new number had different dimensions.

Dave

ddrad.jpg

Edited by Dave39MD (see edit history)