Please can you help me identify this car? Tough one

sébastienlebrun

I think this is a actually a 1957 Mercury wagon because of the "ridged" stainless trim treatment on the doors and the letter M visible behind the door handle. 1958s didn't spell out Mercury in that scalloped area between the narrower upper stainless trim on the rear quarters.

Yes, you were very close. A 1950 Merc tie bar between the bumper guards has a flat edge that says Mercury on it. It looks like a there's flat edge on that bar just to the left of the bumper guard. Also the chrome trunk emblems are different, a 1949 would be evident in the picture because it is much wider and almost comes out to the bumper guard. A 1950 is a smaller rounder design that would be centered on the trunk and not visible in the picture. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Wondering if the Merc on the left is a cop or other civil servant car with that whip antenna bolted to it?

Yeah, that antenna is a mystery.  The car also has a State Farm sticker on the bumper.  Although I live in Florida, I don't know the details of its government in the 50s.  But in other states where I've lived, government cars are self-insured.  Even if they were privately insured, I doubt they would allow it to be advertised on the car.

Robert Frank was a professional photographer who published photos from his road trips in The Americans.  Maybe it was his car with a two-way radio to communicate with his base?  🤷‍♂️

1958, early CB radio was around. The one where a license was actually required, not  just an afterthought like in the 1970s and the move Convoy (Breaker breaker, what's your 20........Is smokey ahead?...license" Nah. got a handle...). 102" whip standard type antenna for that use.