Replacing Vinyl w/ Hardtop: 1969 Riviera

OldClassics

Sure, removing the vinyl top can be done if you're planning to paint the car.  Note, however, that the ventilation grille below the rear window is stamped with a texture simulating the vinyl top on cars so equipped.  If you're removing the vinyl, you'll also want to replace that grille with the smooth version from a 'no vinyl top' car.  Alternatively, it might be possible to bodywork the textured panel (e.g., using body filler) to make it smooth.  In any case, the textured grille would not look correct without the vinyl top.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm assuming that you'll also be removing the chrome trim that separates the top from the quarterpanel and deck lid.  I'm guessing that there may be holes to fill or studs to remove that hold the molding clips.  You may want to keep the molding and the grille to either switch back in the future, or sell to someone looking to add or replace the top on their 2nd-gen Riviera.

FWIW, I like the no-vinyl look on these cars (my '67 has no vinyl top).  As you're suggesting, the vinyl top tends to interrupt the flowing lines of the car.

image.png.250cfc8fa6e3888677c94611b2b17f

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OldClassics said:

Hey all, I was wondering if it is possible to replace the vinyl top of a 1969 Riviera with a hardtop.  I would do this to create a uniform color across the entire car.  Any advice is appreciated!

1969 Buick Riviera | Orlando Classic Cars

Thanks,

Alex

I personally love the vinyl tops on this generation and if that car above is yours , it’s gorgeous!  Like EmTee said though it can be done 

• Like 1

Old Classic, you have a beautiful car just the

way it came from the factory.  The vinyl top

adds a color contrast to the gold paint and

looks very good.

I think the car would look bland, not sporty,

with a mono-tone color scheme.  My thought is

to keep your car as it is;  and if you want a 

plainer look, use that as a reason to get another Riviera!

• Like 1

I have had a couple of cars with light colored vinyl tops that didn't appeal to me. Dying them black gave them a whole new and more acceptable look. If you are thinking of removing it anyway try a black dye job. You might like it.

Soft Scrub bathroom cleaner does an excellent job of cleaning the gain either for cleaning or preparing for dye.

• Like 2

As mentioned I would 1st. do a color dye to your liking BEFORE I removed the vinyl in a contrasting color.  IF you don't like the color try another until you think you have the look your looking for. 

IF nothing you do is satisfactory now you still have the option of removing it at little cost up front trying to satisfy your needs/thoughts, etc.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Tom T.

• Like 1

Removing a vinyl top will more than likely produce some real surprises. Vinyl weathers and becomescporous leaving a bunch of surface rust.  Then removing the adhesive will be a chore. The last par is trying to blend new paint into your original sun exposed paint.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RivNut said:

The last par is trying to blend new paint into your original sun exposed paint.

That's why I qualified my original answer with the phrase "if you're planning to paint the car".  There's no way to remove the top without destroying the paint under it.  Even if it were possible, the color under the top would no longer be the same as the rest of the car due to sun exposure.  If it's the light colored top that bugs you, then I think a dye-job makes sense for the reasons others mentioned.  You might try a color to match the interior (saddle?).  If that doesn't look good, you can always go black...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EmTee said:

I'm assuming that you'll also be removing the chrome trim that separates the top from the quarterpanel and deck lid.  I'm guessing that there may be holes to fill or studs to remove that hold the molding clips.  You may want to keep the molding and the grille to either switch back in the future, or sell to someone looking to add or replace the top on their 2nd-gen Riviera.

FWIW, I like the no-vinyl look on these cars (my '67 has no vinyl top).  As you're suggesting, the vinyl top tends to interrupt the flowing lines of the car.

image.png.250cfc8fa6e3888677c94611b2b17f

This is essentially the exact look I am going for!

• Like 1

Gotcha - but be prepared to repaint the whole car...  Between you and me, I like the color on your car now (or maybe I'm just prejudiced) and the paint actually looks good in the picture.  If it was recently repainted and you have it resprayed by someone who knows what they're doing, you may be able to get away with blending the top, but that seems like a big gamble on a metallic color like that.  But, if you're going for a color change anyway, then no problems!  ;)

• Like 2