For Sale: 1926 Chrysler F58 Touring Convertible - $19,500 - Pella, IA - Not Mine - Posting Expired September 2021

For Sale: 1926 Chrysler F58 Touring Convertible - $19,500 - Pella, IA - Posting Expired September 2021

1926 Chrysler F58 Touring Convertible - cars & trucks - by owner -... (craigslist.org)

Very clean original car that has always been a running car. Excellent restoration several years ago with base coat/clear coat match of original maroon color. The engine is a 186 cubic inch, 38 horsepower 4 cylinder motor, combined with a floor mounted 3 speed standard transmission. The wheelbase is 112”, and has 4 wheel hydraulic drum brakes from the factory in 1926. Chrysler Corporation was established in 1925, and this car was built during their first full year of operation. The F58 had a top speed of 58mph, went from 2mph to 25mph in 8 seconds, and achieved 25mpg. Call with your questions,

Copy and paste in your email:  2d97b5d591433d1ea2ac55cddac4f338@sale.craigslist.org
I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1926 Chrysler F58 Touring Convertible.

'26 Chrysler F58 IA a.jpg

'26 Chrysler F58 IA b.jpg

'26 Chrysler F58 IA c.jpg

'26 Chrysler F58 IA d.jpg

'26 Chrysler F58 IA e.jpg

'26 Chrysler F58 IA f.jpg

'26 Chrysler F58 IA g.jpg

'26 Chrysler F58 IA h.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
- Posting Expired September 2021 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Chrysler began offering hydraulic brakes on some models in 1925 I think? They were the first major automobile producer to do so. 

The fluid reservoir on the firewall is manually operated, NOT automatic. Part of daily maintenance is to float the air bubbles out of the brake lines. This is done by using the small pump handle at the top of the reservoir to push fluid down to the master cylinder. Then close the pump handle/valve. Allow to sit for several minutes so that air bubbles can float up from the master cylinder toward the reservoir. Then open the pump valve again allowing the air bubbles to travel into the reservoir chamber. Sounds complicated, however it really isn't.

The one thing one must never forget is to CLOSE the valve when done! Otherwise, pressing the brake pedal simply floods the reservoir and doesn't operate the wheel cylinders to activate the brakes! (I read about a fellow that did that once with his Paige which had the same Lockheed braking system. My Paige owner's manual goes into considerable detail about the operation and maintenance of the brakes.

I also read about a fellow once that thought he was supposed to pump up the brakes every time he drove the car, and then set the valve to hold that fluid in the system. While that sorta-kinda worked? It isn't proper use or maintenance. Properly adjusted, at the wheels (explained in my Paige manuals)? The natural position of the fluid is where the valve should be closed.

I would not let the brakes scare me away from a Chrysler, or any other early Lockheed hydraulic brake system car. The early Lockheed system was an external contracting bands system. My dad bought our/my Paige when I was fifteen, and promptly buried it so deep in his mess it couldn't be gotten to for restoration. So, two years later, I bought a 1929 Reo Flying Cloud Master coupe. Which is sometimes credited as being the first car to use the then new internal hydraulic braking system. So I have played with both early systems.

• Like 1

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1926 Chrysler F58 Touring Convertible - $19,500 - Pella, IA - Not Mine - Posting Expired September 2021
2 hours ago, supercub said:

The listing is expired. It looks like a neat car, must look sleek with the top and windshield down.

Ah, the benefits of our "Not Mine" postings!

The ad is expired, but anyone who is interested

can still call the seller:  His phone number has been

copied into the first posting.  The car may still be

available, and if so, the seller would be very happy

still to get a call.

I have called about a car a year after the ad was

printed in Hemmings, and the car was still available.